• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have just bought for 99p each:

Midnight in Chernobyl
    Ken Burns' book on the Vietnam War
    An Honourable Defeat: A History of German Resistance to Hitler, 1933-1945

Also Anne Applebaum's 'Twilight of Democracy' is on there for £1.99 at the moment, can definitely recommend that one.

Comment

All Along The Echo -Danny Denton. Have high hopes

Comment

Welcome to OTF, Huey666, and good work starting early in your career with the great OTF tradition of going off the topic of the thread with a controversial £1.99 recommendation.

Comment

Lol, thank you - not off to a great start here am I?

Comment

Great see another Minutemen fan here as well

Comment

There's a Mick Herron (of Slow Horses fame) book on for 99p today. Nobody Walks - worth a pop.

Comment

Originally posted by Huey666 View Post
                Lol, thank you - not off to a great start here am I?
                Oh, on the contrary! It's a long-established OTF tradition.

Comment

Richard Overy-Blood & Ruins:The Great Imperial War 1931-45

Comment

Young Mungo & Shuggie Bain both currently 99p.

Comment

Just browsed a 99p offer on 'First in series': all sorts on offer

I bought Irvine Welsh's Crime, Dune (which I've never read) and took a punt on a couple of crime and spy titles- William Shaw and a Berlin WW2 one.

Heartily recommend Dibdin and Ellroy for 99p!

Comment

Just snapped up Andrey Kurkov's Death and the Penguin, which I've heard of as a classic of post-Soviet Russian literature, for 99p.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Just snapped up Andrey Kurkov's Death and the Penguin, which I've heard of as a classic of post-Soviet Russian literature, for 99p.
                          I just got given that in more traditional paper-based form for my birthday the other week, and very much looking forward to giving it a look. Think it'll be next-but-one on my reading schedule.

Comment

Elif Shafak The Island of Missing Trees: Shortlisted for the Women’s Prize for Fiction 2022
                            99p at the moment

Comment

Comment

Barry Cryer
                                Butterfly Brain

Comment

Vic Marks Late Cuts: Musings on cricket

Comment

Tom Holland Persian Fire: The First World Empire, Battle for the West

Comment

Everybody by Olivia Laing was available for 99p last week, but by the time I post this, it's back up to £5.99. Pretty pleased with myself for snagging that bargain.

Comment

As noted on Current Reading, I picked up Icebound: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World by Andrea Pitzer for 99p earlier, having just finished her epic One Long Night, which is a history of concentration camps. Icebound is about William Barents's three voyages in search of the Northwest Passage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                          As noted on Current Reading, I picked up Icebound: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World by Andrea Pitzer for 99p earlier, having just finished her epic One Long Night, which is a history of concentration camps. Icebound is about William Barents's three voyages in search of the Northwest Passage.
                                          One Long Night: A Global History of Concentration Camps is currently £1.99. I've just bought both so thanks Sam.

Comment

I'd say 'enjoy', but that's not really the right word to use for OLN. It's great, though.

Comment

A fair bit of interesting-looking non-fiction going at the moment: I've just picked up Loot: Britain and the Benin Bronzes by Barnaby Phillips, Heaven and Hell by Bart D Ehrman and The Greek Myths by Robert Graves for 99p each. Also Inglorious Empire by Shashi Tharoor, but you didn't hear that from me – at least not on this thread – because it was £2.99.

Comment

I've invested £1.98 in crime novels but noticed two in sale that I 've read and recommen d:

Whitaker We Begin at the End

Vine Street.
                                                Nolan

I think the latter was a recommendation on here in the crime thread

Comment

Feeling flush, and (Sherlock Holmes aside) I don't read much crime fiction, so just got both of those. Thanks FIGS.

Comment

The Jeeves Omnibus - Vol 1 is down to £4.99 on Kindle (Thank You, Jeeves, The Code of the Woosters and The Inimitable Jeeves), whilst Vol. 2 (containing Right Ho, Jeeves; Joy in the Morning; and Carry on, Jeeves) is 99p. I have never read any Jeeves, so I will make up for lost time.

I don't know what The Ultimate Wodehouse Collection consists of, but that's 99p via Kindle Store too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X