X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bargains for 99p on Kindle

Ece Temelkuran
    How to Lose a Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship

I thought I'd start a bargain thread. Kindle might be Amazon but every week there are bargains to be had. Ece Temelkuran is well worth reading, I like her style and most of her content.

John Richardson and 1 more
    Gary Speed: Unspoken: The Family's Untold Story

Here's my second purchase today.

Comment

I have just found out that I get a load of free stuff because of my Prime account. By the way, if you want free classics on your Kindle, the Project Gutenberg site is good - https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/76

I am not sure whether I would want to get the Speed book. It's probably going to upset me too much.

Comment

I saw this thread title and was just going to come and recommend Project Gutenberg. It's how I'm reading through the Sherlock Holmes stories in publication order (slowly, in between other stuff). It's also how I read Mary Shelley's follow up to Frankenstein, The Last Man, which I ... do not recommend. I'm glad I read it but bloody hell it took a while. It's neither as short nor as good as her debut, although it is interesting. In a way.

Comment

Odd variations across UK and US. 'Nationalism: A Short History' by Leah Greenfield is $2.99 on US Kindle, nearly 20 quid on UK Kindle. Can UK-based customers register for Amazon.com and get the same Kindle deals as US ones?

Comment

No. If your billing address is in a country with its own Amazon domain, they make you register with that country. If you're from somewhere without its own Amazon domain then you have to sign up for the .com site.

They do say that if you have a UK address and move abroad (i.e. their servers detect you're ordering from abroad for a good while) then they have to make you open a new account on .com, due to rights stuff (as with films, there are different rights for ebooks in different markets), but in almost nine and a half years living in Argentina I've never been asked to stop using my UK account.

Comment

I'll have to get those Sherlock Holmes books.

Comment

Do. The editing on the Project Gutenberg stuff is all done collaboratively, with the result that a lot of the stuff isn't absolutely perfectly formatted (you might see the odd bit of html, especially if you read through all the start and end matter, and there are more typos than you'd expect to find in a professionally published book, for example), but for free, it's a great way to stock up on classics.

Comment

Yeah, two or three of the pages in 'The adventures of Huckleberry Finn', that I have just finished, were just scanned-in pages with tiny text but that was the only problem.

Comment

Yeah. That's the sort of thing. If you've ever paid actual money for a Penguin World's Classics book, it's hard to grumble when the stuff Gutenberg has is all (legally) free.

Comment

Peter Frankopan
                      The New Silk Roads: The Present and Future of the World
                      £1.09

Comment

Not able to contribute to Christmas books thread as all nearest & dearest know am now wedded to e books. Which is not point of this thread. But happy enough with Amazon 12 Day Xmas sale:

Will Carver-Good Samaritans
                        David Hepworth-Nothing Is Real
                        Melissa Harrison-All Among The Barley
                        Daniel Shand-Fallow

Comment

Burned: The Inside Story of the 'Cash-for-Ash' Scandal and Northern Ireland's Secretive New Elite https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z8GLK..._dIMdEbD2XMH57

This price is apparently a mistake - it was only published in October - so if it floats your boat then move quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            Burned: The Inside Story of the 'Cash-for-Ash' Scandal and Northern Ireland's Secretive New Elite https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z8GLK..._dIMdEbD2XMH57

This price is apparently a mistake - it was only published in October - so if it floats your boat then move quickly.
                            Bought that and the Hepworth which is now £1.99.

Comment

I got the Hepworth, Akala, Billingham, Lagercrantz, Philip Kerr and a couple of other crime novels that looked ok (for 99p)

Comment

While browsing my “read” list on kindle during the night, it offered me the next in a series for 99p so I bought on the kindle for the 1st time.

Stasi State- the latest by David Young in his slightly clunky but pleasantly atmospheric DDR-set historical crime series.

Comment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Leopol.../dp/B07GNF79HQ

King Leopold's Ghost is 99p.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                    That is an absolutely brilliant book.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the 99p Kindle bargains, though. Is it just the writer getting fucked over for royalties yet again? Or is the hope that enough people will buy it during the bargain period that they'll love it and recommend it to millions of other readers?

Comment

The Quality of Madness: A Life of Marcelo Bielsa

Available for 99p along with some really interesting stuff like Bloody Foreigners

Comment

Barry Hines Kestrel For A Knave (so, Kes, then) is a quid currently on Kindle UK. Not read it since school, so I’ve bought it. Couple of other possibles on there this month too amongst the usual dregs.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

That is an absolutely brilliant book.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the 99p Kindle bargains, though. Is it just the writer getting fucked over for royalties yet again? Or is the hope that enough people will buy it during the bargain period that they'll love it and recommend it to millions of other readers?
                                          Saw a discussion on my proofreading Twitter timeline on this topic ... funnily enough probably roughly when you asked this question, imp. In short, it would seem that most of the time when you see it at least for a relatively recently published book, it'll be a limited-time offer where the publisher's agreed to take a bit of a hit – without it affecting the author's cut – in order to either boost sales or keep a well-performing book in Amazon's charts, which can lead to continued better sales once they put the price back up. I saw it in the context of Maggie O'Farrell's Hamnet (which was published at the end of March) being either 99p or ?1.99 on Kindle for a few days in spite of being a mega seller and multiple award winner and not yet out in paperback. Boosting the sales (even the Kindle sales) while it's still in hardback can help the marketing when it does come out in paperback, it seems.

That's not to say it's always the case, but from what I understood at the time I read the exchange, if it's a reasonably contemporary title (i.e. one for which you the buyer might actually want to make sure the author gets their cut) then the author's royalty probably won't be affected.

Comment

Thanks for that, Sam.

I wanted to download the Bielsa book at that price, but the offer wasn't available on the European mainland.

Comment

That's annoying. As I've mentioned on other threads, I've always been able to use my UK account without issue since I moved here, even though they claim you have to register for your local version or (if like me you don't have a local version) the .com domain if they detect you making purchases from abroad for any length of time (this is due to rights issues regarding publication in different regions, rather than them deliberately being awkward). But then again I presume you have a .de account, rather than having tried and failed to buy on .co.uk?

Comment

Indeed - my uk account doesn't even offer me the kindle option, but a free audiobook if I subscribe to a trial for audiobooks. Which I won't do until I've gone blind. Same at .de.

Comment

The 9th Renko book from Martin Cruz Smith - 'The Siberian Dilemma' - is available on Amazon today for 99p. Also a non-Bernie Philip Kerr - 'A Philosophical Investigation' (99p) and a four-book Maigret compilation (?1.99) are available today.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X