Books About (Theoretical) Physics and Philosophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books About (Theoretical) Physics and Philosophy

The former seem to have a lot of the latter in them.

I mentioned over on the current reading thread that I'd recently read The Consolations of Physics, by Tim Radford. That in turn takes its name from The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius. Which dates from about 542 apparently. I haven't read that but whilst on holiday last week I did read another book that Radford refers to - C.S. Lewis' The Discarded Image. That in turn also relies heavily on the Boethius.

The Lewis was fascinating. I'm not sure I understood everything he talked about in his book, but I got enough from it to say that if one is interested in Medieval and Renaissance literature - or even if you are just curious about how the world was perceived in those times, it's a great place to start.

But anyway, I remain intrigued as to why theoretical physics seems so close to philosophy. Having not studied either topic and being an atheist, I'd be interested to have a steer on this from the OTF hive mind.

BTW - I also read Faster Than The Speed of Light by Joao Magueijo more than 10 years ago, and reading the Radford got me thinking if the theory of variable speeds of light had actually gained any traction since then. I couldn't find anything on the internet so, again, if OTF could scratch that particular itch, I'd be most grateful.

I'd guess because both are fields of abstract thought so they bleed into each other especially if they remain purely intellectual exercises.

Comment

Working...
    X