Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did your ma throw yours out too?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Did your ma throw yours out too?

    Bloke flogs Marvel / DC collection for 350 grand to fund round the World trip



    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...50k-collection

    #2
    A mate of mine died a little while back, aged only 53. When we were kids and teenagers he had a shelved wall mostly taken up with DC and Marvel comics. Just Batman, Superman and Spiderman I think, although a few feet were taken up with War and Battle Picture Library. There were two shelves, each about seven feet long. Already pretty full by the time I was 11-12 in the mid-70s so I can only wonder how far back they went. I also wonder where they ended up.

    Comment


      #3
      I recently came across a website selling back issues of 1970's music magazines - Zigzag, Creem, Crawdaddy etc - many of which were quite expensive (15-20) and quite a few were two or three times that much. Around 1977 I would estimate I had maybe a hundred of these in my room. God knows what happened to them.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Sits View Post
        A mate of mine died a little while back, aged only 53. When we were kids and teenagers he had a shelved wall mostly taken up with DC and Marvel comics. Just Batman, Superman and Spiderman I think, although a few feet were taken up with War and Battle Picture Library. There were two shelves, each about seven feet long. Already pretty full by the time I was 11-12 in the mid-70s so I can only wonder how far back they went. I also wonder where they ended up.
        Thanks to my little brother's near addiction to the War / Battle / Commando series I managed to pass my German "O" level.


        Ae. Teufel. Gott in Himmel. Achtung, Tommies! Schadenfreude. usw.
        Last edited by Guy Profumo; 15-06-2019, 09:37.

        Comment


          #5
          Banzai!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Tony C View Post
            I recently came across a website selling back issues of 1970's music magazines - Zigzag, Creem, Crawdaddy etc - many of which were quite expensive (15-20) and quite a few were two or three times that much. Around 1977 I would estimate I had maybe a hundred of these in my room. God knows what happened to them.
            One thing is what people ask for such artifacts and another is what people are really prepared to pay.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Sporting View Post

              One thing is what people ask for such artifacts and another is what people are really prepared to pay.
              True, but even if you go low end - say a tenner apiece - it's still a thousand pounds or so. Which I could always do with.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Sits View Post
                Banzai!
                Who rattled your cage, Tojo?

                Comment


                  #9
                  One of my friends threw out my comics and books. I left them with him for "safekeeping" when a moved to Canada in 72. He'd dumped them within ten years. Can't say I blame him. Comics wise there wasn't a lot as I was pretty selective (AKA poor.) I did have the first ten issues of Silver Surfer though as I loved the concept. It was the UK version, so probably not as valuable as the US one. And I can't answer for the condition, certainly well off pristine. I miss my Oz collection more TBH. I had multiple copies of some issues, as I worked there, and, for the same reason they had sentimental value.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    My mother definitely threw out my Avengers, West Coast Avengers/Avengers West Coast, Solo Avengers and most importantly the Nocenti/Romita Jnr run of Daredevil comics.

                    Badly foxed, so not worth 350 grand.
                    Last edited by Eggchaser; 16-06-2019, 13:19.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      One of the better things about being a Millennial is moms knew not to throw away this kind of thing because they might be valuable some day. I was never a comic book head but I've got a ton of baseball cards that my mom kept (and has kept with her as she moves to the East Coast for retirement). They're worth bugger all, because the Junk Wax Era meant massive overproduction of cards, but it's the thought that counts. Compare that to my poor dad, who swears between him and his brothers they had probably every baseball card produced for a 15-year span between the 50s and 60s with nothing to show for it.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        My sister's just thrown out a box of 2000ADs from about 1983 as she clears out the family home. She said they weren't worth saving because they turned into a large pile of mush after years of sitting in the garage. She has given me a bag containing some old NMEs, Beanos and 2000ADs from the same time; I've got to go through them at some point before my wife throws them out...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Never know when you're going to need a 37 year old review of a Roman Holiday album....

                          Comment


                            #14
                            My baseball card collection was never amazing, and I was a kid when the market got saturated, so nothing was ever really that rare...I did find the Billy Ripken FUCK FACE bat card in a pack the day that Fleer set came out and could have sold it for $100+ at a baseball card show that weekend, but I was dumb and decided not to. Then the reprints that censored it became more valuable than the original card.

                            What I did have a lot of was Star Wars toys. All of which I played with, they weren't boxed up or protected well. That's what I tell myself to think that my mom didn't give away thousands of dollars of toys, and no, I won't be looking up the prices of anything that I had.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I gave most of my comics away to the AAUW book sale. I missed the top of the 90s bubble. I suspect my collection could have been worth a few hundred, at most, if I'd really worked at it, but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle compared to supporting scholarships for girls and giving somebody else the joy of finding something kinda cool, though not especially valuable money-waise, from the 80s/90s.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                One of the better things about being a Millennial is moms knew not to throw away this kind of thing because they might be valuable some day. I was never a comic book head but I've got a ton of baseball cards that my mom kept (and has kept with her as she moves to the East Coast for retirement). They're worth bugger all, because the Junk Wax Era meant massive overproduction of cards, but it's the thought that counts. Compare that to my poor dad, who swears between him and his brothers they had probably every baseball card produced for a 15-year span between the 50s and 60s with nothing to show for it.
                                But the only reason the old ones are really valuable is because so few still exist. Until the 60s, comics were regarded like last week's newspaper.


                                What I did have a lot of was Star Wars toys. All of which I played with, they weren't boxed up or protected well. That's what I tell myself to think that my mom didn't give away thousands of dollars of toys, and no, I won't be looking up the prices of anything that I had.
                                Same. But again, that's why the mint condition ones are valuable and the toys made especially for the collectors market later on are not as valuable.

                                Pretty much anything that is made to be collected will never be increase in value too much unless the manufacturer goes out of its way not to make very many and even then, it's probably not going to be astronomical because the ones that are out there are saved and preserved.
                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 17-06-2019, 20:59.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  I had to stay behind to do my O-levels when my dad was posted back from Germany. My legally appointed guardian (Geordie Lancaster) was a taciturn fella who I only heard swear once- when we were putting my stuff in crates to be flown home and he saw how many comics and NMEs there were (1 and a half crates full).

                                  I sold all the comics to a dealer for 25 when I was on the dole and, yes, my mum did throw most of the NMEs out once I went to Wolverhampton Poly.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    I bought comics agAin in the 80s and have had the satisfaction of selling some of those myself at rather better price.

                                    And these endless marvel films may be squeezing the life out of cinema but they make obscure comics I didnt know I had suddenly spike in value (didnt know I had the original female Capt Marvel, in a Spider-Man annual- an ex-PhD student asked me for a list of my comics and updates me with big price changes)

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      I had a big pile of comics which my mum threw out when I was an older teen. It was all British stuff like Whizzer and Chips, or Buster.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        I went the other way yesterday and Rescued a Shoot! From September 1974 from an Antique shop for 5.00. It was surprisingly International with an interview with Gunter Netzer (Johann Neeskens next week) and Rheims striker Carlos Bianchi scoring all six goals in a 6.1 victory over PSG, wonder what happened to him?
                                        In the letters page an Ipswich fan reckons they'd walk the league if only they signed Ray Clemence ( I'm sure they would)..
                                        But as always it's the columnicolumnists that made Shoot! Worth reading. Billy Bremner thought Scotland should have done better in the world cup and Luton would stay up ( they didn't). Meanwhile Kevin Keegan was picking a team of 100%ers who could beat Liverpool including Steve Whitworth, Mike Pejic and John Mahoney, but the highlight was Alan Ball showing his working class credentials by saying he would double the admission price to stop the thugs because,after all " You don't see hooligans in posh restaurants and they prefer the saloon bar to the lounge ". Best fiver I've spent in a long time.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                          I had to stay behind to do my O-levels when my dad was posted back from Germany. My legally appointed guardian (Geordie Lancaster)
                                          Look, if you don't want to tell us his real name you can just say so.

                                          Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                          Rheims striker Carlos Bianchi scoring all six goals in a 6.1 victory over PSG, wonder what happened to him?
                                          Forgive me if you're joking, but in case it's a serious question: he became one of the most successful managers in the history of South American club football. Albeit his most famous teams weren't as nice to watch as his own goalscoring exploits as a player might have led us to expect.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Joking Sam but thanks for the update, just read the player focus,Middlesbrough's keeper Jim Platt who lists his favourite food as fish and chips because he's a vegetarian!!

                                            Comment

                                            Working...
                                            X