Translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation

Some years ago I highly recommended on here "Is that a fish in your ear" by David Bellos (Alex's dad) on the subject of translation and the art of the translator, which was (and is) an awesome book. I'd link to the thread but the search function appears to be permanently buggered

Anyway, today I read the following article on the subject of Google's translations engine (which also gets a chapter in Bellos) by Douglas Hofstadter (yes that one, who wrote the amazing Godel, Escher, Bach), which is definitely worth your time too (I realise now that it is a year old, so you may already have done so, but never mind) https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...nslate/551570/

Here is that thread.

Google Site Search still works, though not perfectly. I'm afraid we will need Snake's intercession when he returns from the Antipodes.

Comment

That thread reveals that I'd actually read the Hofstadter article a year ago, loved it enough to share, and then somehow entirely forgotten about it.

Drugs man. They do your head in.

Comment

Missed it first time, so thanks for reposting that superb Hofstadter piece. I've sent a link to it to a self-employed translator friend of mine who I think might really like it.

Oh, and having looked at that 2013 thread, I entirely agree with your rant about the "current reading" thread.

Comment

Working...
        X