No announcement yet.

Pick me a book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for Attention All Shipping even if it is non fiction. In discrete chapters too.

Comment

This is a curious thread. A bit like wandering into Waterstone's and saying, "I'd like to buy a book, please."

Comment

Oh yes, mos def.

Comment

I think you should try that and then report back. Maybe we all should. When they ask us, "What kind of thing do you like?" we respond, "I don't really know."

Although having once worked in a shop, it's been my policy ever since to try and make the life of shop assistants anything close to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
            This is a curious thread. A bit like wandering into Waterstone's and saying, "I'd like to buy a book, please."
            If they liked the look of you they'd steer you towards erotica, with a wink. Or, in my case, books about hillwalking in the Lakes.

Comment

My local Waterstone's has "staff recommendations" plastered all over the place, so they obviously do cater for the small but potentially valuable choose-a-book-for-me cohort.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

If they liked the look of you they'd steer you towards erotica, with a wink. Or, in my case, books about hillwalking in the Lakes.
                Don't take it personally. You just have well-defined calves.

Comment

Much to Ms Felicity’s disgust, I don’t read serious/literary fiction much any more but I like to think I have ploughed a proper furrow of serious/ socially conscious crime and sci-fi.
                  So anything by Pelecanos, Richard Price, Kim Stanley Robinson, the ‘Expanse’ novels of JAmes SA Storey. Historical crime/spy by Alan Furst, Joseph Kanon. Simenon’s novels are being retranslated and the master of leftist detective fiction Didier Daeninckx also has a couple in English

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                    I think you should try that and then report back. Maybe we all should. When they ask us, "What kind of thing do you like?" we respond, "I don't really know."

Although having once worked in a shop, it's been my policy ever since to try and make the life of shop assistants anything close to hell.
                    I do get that it's a weird thing to ask. But (a) I am weird and (b) what else would you have me do?

I am reading a book, by the way. "The Song of Achilles", by Madeline Miller. It's going ok so far. Once I have read it, I will report back on all the things I thought.

Comment

Glad your reading again TonTon, I've downloaded a few things to read onto my kindle but it's going to be a while before I get round to them. One of the books was The Thought Gang by Tibor Fischer, it's been a while since I read it and my copy disappeared after lending it to a friend.

Comment

Oh I'm doing the actual old-fashioned dead tree thing.

Comment

Ton Ton - are you enjoying Song of Achilles? I've just been waxing lyrical over on the current reading thread about her next book, Circe.

Comment

Working...
                          X