Graphic Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    Not sure I'd classify Bone as YA, but it is a bummer. Seems like one of those cursed adaptations, like Y: The Last Man until that finally got made (and arguably after it got made).

Any other new recommendations? My pull list is looking a little thin these days and I'm less enamoured with some of my previous stalwarts than I was. I started West of Sundown which seems promising but I'm not sure it'll go the distance.
    You're right, Bone is not YA, more all-ages. I didn't see Y the Last Man but if I'd have bet the farm on any comic becoming a bit hit as a TV series, that would probably have been the one. Strange how it didn't work out.

My comics 'to read' pile is enormous and I like to read some new but mostly old. I just find there's decades of good stuff out there that I need to read before I get to anything particularly new. Luckily I have comic-reading friends who are much more current than I am plus the Eisner award nominations came out last week, which is always a good guide so the following recommendations are mostly a combination of those two sources.

Not sure whether you're into superhero stuff, GY, but Tom King continues to get great reviews for any comic he does and is nominated this year for Human Target. and also for Supergirl. Also I've heard good things about Nightwing, Immortal Hulk and Invincible Iron Man. Daniel Warren Johnson's name has cropped up quite a bit too recently - his Beta Ray Bill mini-series was very well received.

What else? Are you familiar with James Tynion IV? He's done a load of stuff but Something is Killing the Children is doing very well at the moment, with an inevitable Netflix series planned. Bitter Root has had great reviews and also an Eisner nomination, as has Kyle Higgins' Radiant Black. Oh, and Saga has come back after a very long hiatus.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      Not sure whether you're into superhero stuff, GY,
      Not really. I don't object to the concept, but I find the contortions that DC/Marvel get into with their superheroes to keep the comics going across a million different lines tiresome. Similarly the whole MCU concept does nothing for me. I do read the occasional relatively standalone run like Matt Fraction's Hawkeye or All Star Superman, but generally I stick to the likes of Image for that sort of story.

What else? Are you familiar with James Tynion IV? He's done a load of stuff but Something is Killing the Children is doing very well at the moment, with an inevitable Netflix series planned. Bitter Root has had great reviews and also an Eisner nomination, as has Kyle Higgins' Radiant Black.
      I am not, will check those out.

Oh, and Saga has come back after a very long hiatus.
      Yes, this is the main thing on my pull list right now, apart from the latest Reckless book from Brubaker which I still haven't got round to reading.

Comment

Heartstopper vol 1 - a Young Adult graphic novel, set in an all boys grammar school. It's a heartwarming, boy meets boy story that started off as a webcomic. Very readable and a noticeable manga style art and layout. First series has recently come to Netflix with the second and third series announcement coming just the other day.
        Having absolutely loved the TV series (as noted in the appropriate forum) I'm trying to decide whether to give the books a go. I had a flick through in Gay's The Word while I was down in London the other week, and it did seem very young, so not sure if it would really be for me. I don't know, I think perhaps I've just got certain conceptions of graphic novels in general – it's not a medium I've ever explored.

I got given for Christmas The Most Important Comic Book on Earth, an anthology of comics on the climate crisis by a huge range of famous folks (and Brooklyn Beckham), which has sat on the bookshelf since then. Maybe I should have a go at that first.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

Having absolutely loved the TV series (as noted in the appropriate forum) I'm trying to decide whether to give the books a go. I had a flick through in Gay's The Word while I was down in London the other week, and it did seem very young, so not sure if it would really be for me. I don't know, I think perhaps I've just got certain conceptions of graphic novels in general – it's not a medium I've ever explored.

I got given for Christmas The Most Important Comic Book on Earth, an anthology of comics on the climate crisis by a huge range of famous folks (and Brooklyn Beckham), which has sat on the bookshelf since then. Maybe I should have a go at that first.
          Having read all 4 volumes now, I'd say that yes, it is aimed at a young audience so maybe not the best thing to try as an introduction to graphic novels, Jobi. I haven't read The Most Important Comic Book on Earth but, looking at its list of contributors, few of them actually work in the comics industry so, although I'm sure it's an important and worthwhile read, I doubt it's going to be the best the medium can offer.

I tend to read a mish mash of stuff comicswise and always have done. Superhero, non-fiction, comic strips, manga etc. I'll give anything a go as I'm more in love with the medium than with a certain genre. I draw the line at webcomics though but only because I'm not a fan of reading anything digitally. Heartstopper started out as a webcomic but I first saw it at a comic convention last year. I think Alice Oseman, the creator, was there. My interest was piqued because it said on the cover that it was soon to become a Netflix series. Someone lent me all 4 volumes and they are super quick and easy to read. Very heartwarming and I can see why the books have a massive following but yes, to reiterate, they are really for a teen audience. Can't comment on the TV programme as I haven't seen it.

Started a graphic novel of 1984 today. Will report back soon.

Comment

What are the modern equivalents of things like The Sandman, The Invisibles or even Preacher?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
              What are the modern equivalents of things like The Sandman, The Invisibles or even Preacher?
              I'm guessing, from the examples you give, that you are asking about non-superhero titles that are critically acclaimed.

I gave some recommendations to GY just a few posts above - Something is Killing the Children, Radiant Black, Bitter Root, Reckless. Most of these titles either won an Eisner award this year or were nominated for one. James Tynion IV, Junji Ito and Barry Windsor all did extremely well this year.

I find the Eisner nominations and winners to be a great indication of what to read. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-...ego-comic-con/

I love the wide variety of categories the Eisners have - three different kids comics categories for example. That's been really useful for me when trying out new comics for my son over the years. And I only realised the other day that the 1984 graphic novel that I'm currently reading won the Best Adaptation from another Medium category this year.

Comment

Sorry, yes and thank you Jon for engaging with a very tired and lazy request. I've watched the first few episodes of The Sandman and it got me thinking about the comic books I got from my library in the late nineties. My mental comic book shelves took a real hit with removal of all my Warren Ellis stuff and I've realised I don't have a very well rounded library.

I've tried Saga but it didn't grab me and The Wicked + The Divine is fine but not really magical. It's made me wonder if I'm too old to have that transcendent experience with a book any more.

Comment

Yes, the library would be a great place to go back to, Gregario. Certainly, they will have a much more varied stock then they would have done in the late 90s.

My mental comic book shelves took a real hit with removal of all my Warren Ellis stuff and I've realised I don't have a very well rounded library.
                  Not sure what you mean by this but I'm assuming you have stopped reading him due to the sexual coercion allegations against him.

Thinking of those titles that you mention - The Sandman, The Invisibles, The Preacher plus Ellis' Transmetroplitan - it's interesting to note that a) they were all written by British creators and b) they were all published on the Vertigo label which DC sadly stopped a few years ago.

Comment

The Wicked + The Divine is fine but not really magical.
                    I assume you mean magical in a "good" sense, because it is very magical in a literal sense. You might have more luck with Phonogram, which is Gillen & McKelvie's previous collab.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by this but I'm assuming you have stopped reading him due to the sexual coercion allegations against him.
                      Ah fuck, I hadn't heard about that.

Comment

Yeah, it all blew up some two years ago. Multiple allegations of him grooming women significantly younger than him, mostly via the forum on his website. The allegations go back to 2000 and the women have put up dozens of testimonials onto a website. He has hardly worked in the comics industry since then, if at all and has also stopped scripting for Netflix's Castlevania.
                        Last edited by Jon; 16-08-2022, 14:24.

Comment

Yes, the library would be a great place to go back to, Gregario. Certainly, they will have a much more varied stock then they would have done in the late 90s.

Thinking of those titles that you mention - The Sandman, The Invisibles, The Preacher plus Ellis' Transmetroplitan - it's interesting to note that a) they were all written by British creators and b) they were all published on the Vertigo label which DC sadly stopped a few years ago.
                          Yeah, I also really liked The Authority, Stormwatch & Planetary for supers stuff. Also swallowed by DC.

I reread All Star Superman last night. It's astonishingly good.

Comment

And yes, I like Phonogram, I got it as singles from OK Comics in Leeds. There's a lovely shop.

Comment

I've tried Saga but it didn't grab me
                              Interestingly (to me at least) I'm not into graphic novels, I've never been a comic person at all. But I read the first 2 volumes of Saga yesterday and thought they were fantastic.
                              The artwork is beautiful.

Comment

I think the modern style of artwork is what I'm finding hard to get into. Which is a massive sweeping generalisation I know, encompassing massive variety of styles and technique of artists, inkers and colourists. And it is certainly unfair.

But I feel there is something, maybe it feels much more within the lines and cell shaded.

Comment

Love and Rockets - in my opinion, the best and most important comic ever made - is 40. Fantagraphics have just reprinted the first 50 comics. At just shy of £300 it's a bit steep for me, especially as I have most of the issues in trade paperback, albeit in a smaller form. But PBS also made this documentary. https://www.pbs.org/video/love-rockets-wbnh1h/ It's free so a much cheaper way to celebrate.

I've been on a bit of a mainstream superhero kick at the moment, mostly inspired by the Disney Plus shows, some of which have piqued my interest enough to go back and read the source material. Panini comics, who have the licence to reprint Marvel comics in Europe, have made this quite easy. I can walk into my local WHSmith and there will be a selection of trade paperbacks, brought out to coincide with the Disney Plus shows. I'm about halfway through both Ms Marvel and She-Hulk on Disney Plus and I think they are the best Marvel shows that Disney Plus has done to date, along with Wandavision.

So, Ms Marvel 1 - 6. Really great first story arc. It was written and I think edited too by Muslim women and it does seem a convincing portrayal of a normal Muslim teenage girl living in Jersey City. In many ways, it's the Spiderman origin story brought into the 21st century.

She-Hulk. The Dan Slott run, or at least part of it. I don't think I'd ever read a Dan Slott comic before this. He's pretty well-regarded in the mainstream comics world as a more than capable pair of hands and has done some notable runs on quite a few Marvel titles, Spider-man being his most renowned. A real sense of fun comes through in this comic, just like it did in the John Byrne comic from the 80s and you can see how it inspired the TV programme.

Comment

Hello. I can't comb through 16 pages, so can someone point me to some good, stand-alone Manga book titles.

I've tried looking at book stores, and everything seems to be an 8, 10, 12 or 16-book set. I'm hoping for a few one-offs.

He likes Naruto stuff...that's your only hint / clue.

17 year old boy...nothing romance-y please.

Many thanks.

Comment

Uzumaki by Junji Ito if he's into Horror?

Comment

Wrong person to ask I'm afraid. Only manga I've read is stuff like Akira and Battle Royale which are many volumes. Although there is a cool Western-published one volume book, Bat-Manga!, which collects and translates a load of Japanese Batman manga from the 60s.

Comment

Chainsaw Man

Comment

Looks like a pretty big series.

Comment

That tends very much to be the case with the genre

Comment

Oops, missed the one volume part… Dororo then.

Comment

Tough to find manga one-shots as, yes, most are made into series. I think Dororo has about 6 volumes. Tekkonkinkreet has only 3 volumes so it might be worth a try. Like Levin, Junji Ito is a writer I'd definitely recommend if he's into horror- he mostly does one-shots.

Comment

Comics I got for Christmas:

Never read any Paul Cornell but I have a couple of friends who are big fans of his novels.

Comics that I gave for Christmas:

Which I gave to the Elvis fan in my life, making sure that I read it first of course. It's great. A really well done retelling of his early years, from his early teens to him signing for RCA.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X