Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ant van Oviedo View Post
    George Orwell

Some reminiscences from school you might be interested in.

While I was in the first form, we were forced by a teacher with right-wing views (I think she was from Northern Ireland and may have been involved in Unionist politics there) to read 'Animal Farm' even though most of us knew very little about the events of 1917. The same teacher kept lecturing us about how people in the Soviet Union had no freedom whatsoever.

Several years later, while in the 6th form at the same school, we had to choose a novel and write an essay about it. I chose Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' mainly because I had already read it and couldn't be bothered to waste my time looking for an alternative book. Funnily enough, it was also around this time that I stopped taking sugar with my tea (partly for health reasons and partly because it was too much bother getting the sugar in the first place) although I was then completely unaware of what Orwell had said about this! This thread is in fact, the first place I have read about Orwell's views on tea.

Comment

After doing Animal Farm and 1984 in school, I sauntered off to the library to read more Orwell, but sadly chose the deeply dull home counties middle class satire novel Keep The Aspadistra Flying. Which put me off for a few years, before I found the essays and reportage works at Uni.

Anyway, Down and Out in Paris and London is 99p on UK Kindle today.

Comment

And for a football-related take on Orwell. In 1992 and 1993 I travelled to the Faroe Islands to watch football there, and some years afterwards, when having a quick re-read of Nineteen Eight-Four, I found that the Faroes are actually briefly mentioned in the book, a detail which I could not remember from when I had been reading it during my schooldays. Anyone know of any other novels (by any author) that mention the Faroes? Can't be many, if any!

Comment

Brave New World mentions the Falklands.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
            After doing Animal Farm and 1984 in school, I sauntered off to the library to read more Orwell, but sadly chose the deeply dull home counties middle class satire novel Keep The Aspadistra Flying. Which put me off for a few years, before I found the essays and reportage works at Uni.

Anyway, Down and Out in Paris and London is 99p on UK Kindle today.
            George Orwell The Complete Novels of George Orwell: Animal Farm, Burmese Days, A Clergyman's Daughter, Coming Up for Air, Keep the Aspidistra Flying, Nineteen Eighty-Four

All for 99p

Comment

George Orwell
              The Complete Works: Novels, Memoirs, Poetry, Essays, Book Reviews & Articles: 1984, Animal Farm, Down and Out in Paris and London, Prophecies of Fascism

Also 99p

Comment

Working...
              X