Atlas Shrugged - worth reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm intrigued, but it looks daunting. Is it any good?

No; it's crap.

And unless that MTV clip you once posted was of your dad, you are at least 20 years too old not to realise how crap it is.

Comment

There's a girl at work who tells me i should read it. But it sounds horrific. And it's 1000 pages or something

Comment

I know it doesn't make any difference to the quality of the book, but didn't Ayn Rand end up leading a cult?

Comment

Thread title answer- Fuck no.

IrishRedDevil answer - Arguably yes. She was also a lunatic. Frankly.

Comment

In college, I'd read a bit about Rand the person and thought she was a nutjob, but had some co-workers going on and on about how she was an amazing author.

Brought a dog-eared copy of Atlas Shrugged on a long Euro backpacking trip in to at least read one of here books and then be able to qualify my opinion that she had a screw loose.

Well, I finished in Narvik, Norway - gladly left it in the campground office. 1000+ pages of capitalist propaganda, no gray areas, everything either black or white. Anyone who opines anything positive about Rand the author or the cult leader is full of shit.

Dunno if the teabaggers have led any resurgence in her books - of course they are BOOKS, and not Glenn Beck's coloring books, so they may not be of much interest.

Comment

It might be interesting to read her stuff, in the same way it would be interesting to read a similarly US-bred dating manual from 1954, or some kind of casual race theory from Gerrmany from 1934 or something, but I imagine the creepy thing about it would be that it was AYN FUCKING RAYYNDDD manifesto going on about how it's all your fault if you're skint and shit, and read my book cause it's Pretend Nietzsche for Girls - and as there haven't been any critical voices in the media for at least 20 years, thick middle class people will fall for it.

Comment

Screw what anyone else says. Do what you want to do. You make everything for yourself. Depending on some bullshit community like this to guide your way on decisions is the path to mediocrity.

Comment

Not read it actually. Want a synopsis myself to be able to constructively attack GOP idiots that see it as some form of bible. this seems like it might have captured the essence.

Comment

I borrowed a copy off my mate’s wife about five years ago – I’ve fingered it a couple of times and not got past the first two pages. And I’ve read books by Nixon and "The Lord of the Rings".

I suspect may mate’s wife hasn’t done much better with my copy of “Mao” I loaned her at the same time, although I think she got about a third of the way through “Atlas Shrugged”.

Comment

irishreddevil wrote:
                      I know it doesn't make any difference to the quality of the book, but didn't Ayn Rand end up leading a cult?
                      Sign at UC Irvine a few years back:

Seems quite cult-like to me.

Comment

didn't Ayn Rand end up leading a cult?
                        She still kind of does, in lots of places and ways, as others have said.

Otherwise, what Lucia Lanigan said

Comment

Yeah, I don't think I'll be bothering with this one. Thanks all.

Comment

As it happens, I bought this the other day and have just started it, so give me six months or so and I'll report back.

Comment

Dorothy Parker wrote:
                              This is not a book to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.

Comment

dglhand of god wrote:
                                Screw what anyone else says. Do what you want to do. You make everything for yourself. Depending on some bullshit community like this to guide your way on decisions is the path to mediocrity.
                                Applause.

Comment

Fucking hell this is awful, I feel embarrassed for her.

Comment

Daunting`s hardly the word.I read around 233 pages of incessant talk of a certain railway line being built, interspersed with snippets of the home life..a very stressful one..of one of the senior workers at this railroad.It is immeasurably deep, and i just don`t get it.It is also insufferably, immeasurably dull.

Comment

Why not just play BioShock instead?

Comment

I haven't read Atlas Shrugged but The Fountainhead is definitely worth reading. It's like a mental mash up of Jackie Collins and Travis Bickle. Very odd but I actually found it quite inspiring.

Comment

Hey, Pants is back! Where've you been?

Comment

Reading Atlas Shrugged!

Nah, I've been flat out. I've got two young kids now and about 18 months ago I got promoted to a really great new role at work which took over my life.

How is everyone? What have I missed?

Comment

Pants wrote:
                                              How is everyone? What have I missed?
                                              Usual stuff. People calling each other cunts.

Comment

Tee hee.

Comment

That's quality (as well as being dead accurate).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X