This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Mission Impossible: educate me in 6 weeks (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Mission Impossible: educate me in 6 weeks
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't be doing with the Perec at all, but others do love it. Bit like the Master and Margarita - I didn't get it.

Oh what about Jose Saramago? Blindness or The Gospel According to Jesus Christ.

My actual *favourite* recentish novel is of course Nordic and is The Seducer by Jan Kjaerstad. Or maybe Independent People by Laxness?

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cheers guys, lots of suggestions. Should keep me busy for a few weeks
Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh aah, if I was breaking down all the suggestions on here to the bare essentials, I'd go...

Philip Roth: 'American Pastoral'
Milan Kundera: 'Unbearable Lightness of Being' or 'Book of Laughter and Forgetting'
Amis: 'Money'
Primo Levi: 'If This Is A Man'
Kurt Vonnegut: 'Slaughterhouse Five'
David Mitchell: 'Ghostwritten'
Gabreil Garcia Marquez: 'Love In The Time Of Cholera'

And I'd throw in JM Coetzee's 'Disgrace'.

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heston Bee
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for Heston Bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kundera's Immortality is brilliant, Life is Elsewhere is also recommended.

Rushdie - Midnight's Children
Garcia Marquez - Love in the Time of Cholera - much better than 100 years of solitude.
Michael Herr - Dispatches: tremendous account by an embedded journalist in Vietnam

Is Vonnegut some sort of OTF poster boy? I don't get it, I read one of his books, I can't even remember what it was called, and found it simple and uninspiring. I haven't read much non-fiction recently, and can't call to mind much that I have read.

Posts: 1493 | From: Loondoon | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
post-war, you probably don't need to bother with anything that isn't American.
Is no-one better read than myself going to question this statement?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heston Bee
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for Heston Bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a provocation or joke so just left it, not that I'm particularly well-read.

Sartre's Nausea is excellent, more so if you liked The Outsider.
Achebe's Things Fall Apart
Not exactly worldly classics, but definitely worth reading:
Hornby's Fever Pitch
Something by De Bernieres - I preferred his earlier books, The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Regions or Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord
Something by Italo Calvino - If on a Winter's night a Traveller perhaps.

Nonfiction:
For a brief history of the 20th century it's hard to do much better than Hobsbawm's Age of Extremes.
JK Galbraith's The Affluent Society

[ 15.03.2008, 15:18: Message edited by: Heston Bee ]

Posts: 1493 | From: Loondoon | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Lyra requested A couple of excellent books by women: Elizabeth Smart's By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept, an amazing piece of prose poetry. And some short stories by Alice Munro, either The Lives of Girls and Women, Open Secrets, or pretty much any other collection really.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading an Italian translation of a Chinese erotic novel set in what would be the early middle-ages for us, about some wondering chap fucking his way in noble houses. Very graphic, ideal stuff for a bored teenager during a hot summer by the sea.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
post-war, you probably don't need to bother with anything that isn't American.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is no-one better read than myself going to question this statement

Well, I did respond by mentioning Amis. Also, I think Coetzee is pretty much essential as is David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas. But actually, the statement's not worth questioning: it's just nonsense.

Good call on the Elizabeth Smart poem, Amor. I love it (as does a certain Steven Morrissey - who loved it so much, he sprinkled many Smiths songs with direct lifts from it.)

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ghostwritten is a pretty crap Murakami copy. There, I said it!

I think one should not discount genre fiction and therefore I could add

Iain M Banks The Player of Games
Anything by James Lee Burke
Anything by KJ Parker

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must read The Great Gatsby. You have to.

You won't get through it in time, but take Crime and Punishment with you.

Fuck Vonnegut.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

I don't like the Great Gatsby. There, I said that too!
Pants
Member # 404

Wyatt, you hold lyra while I punch him/her in the stomach.
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five is essential, the rest of his stuff is very variable.

The Great Gatsby is beautifully, magnificently in fact, written; but the shallowness of the characters prevented me from fully enjoying it.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

She's a girl. She just didn't 'get' it.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC