This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Mission Impossible: educate me in 6 weeks (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Mission Impossible: educate me in 6 weeks
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In April I'm moving out to China, which will obviously restrict the amount of literature I'll have access to. So I've decided I'm going to read as much as I possibly can before I go. Now I'm aware that I'm not really that well read, and that was made even more obvious looking at the Booker thread yesterday.

What I'm after are 20thC classics (and any 21C classics too) and you can be really obvious with your recommendations.

(although to narrow it down a bit, really obvious stuff I have read include; Catcher in the Rye,
Orwell, Heart of Darkness, Catch-22, Graham Greene, The Outsider, and Murakami)

[ 13.03.2008, 12:04: Message edited by: ooh aah ]

Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pale Fire and At Swim-Two-Birds would be alongside Catch-22 as my top thre from the twentieth century, I think.

Sunset Song is the finest Scottish novel of last century.

Nostromo or Lord Jim are better / more typical of Conrad than HoD.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
post-war, you probably don't need to bother with anything that isn't American.
Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Martin Amis's Money is a modern classic, ooh aah.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Pale Fire and At Swim-Two-Birds

Also;

Ulysses (but perhaps too long...)
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Lolita
Ada or Ardour (Nabokov)
American Pastoral (Roth)
The Plot Against America (Roth)
The Human Stain (Roth)
I Married A Communist (Roth)
The Blind Assassin (Atwood)

and, above all (it's tiny, it'll take up almost nothing of your limited time)

Ill Seen, Ill Said (Samuel Beckett)

Are you including poetry in "literature"? If so, try Heaney's Opened Ground, the Ezra Pound Cantos, and T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read some women! Iris Murdoch. Margaret Atwood.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Dos Passos USA
E.L. Doctorow Ragtime
" World's Fair

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - anything
Jonathan Lethem The Fortress of Solitude
James Ellroy - anything

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick White - The Vivisector
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

Oh also Primo Levi - If This Is A Man/The Truce and also The Periodic Table.

and something by Vonnegut

lyra
Member # 1669

And The Inimitable Jeeves, at the very least.
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Life A Users Manual by Georges Perec is fantastic.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, Toro. He's only got 'til April, and you put two different Joyce books there. I'd still be struggling through page one of Ulysses, I think, in April.

What they all said about At-Swim-Two-Birds and Lolita, of course.

I'll continue to rave about The Bridge Over The Drina by Ivo Andric; various of Ismael Kadare's books, particularly Broken April and The File on H; and The Good Soldier Schweijk by Jaroslav Hasek for your 20th century eastern European classics.

And, above all else, as mentioned elsewhere:

If This Is A Man by Primo Levi.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And yes, probably Vonnegut.

Of modern British fun to read stuff, obviously David Mitchell. I think John Lanchester's Fragrant Harbour and particularly The Debt To Pleasure are both magnificent.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, scratch Ulysses.

Since we're talking east europeans, replace with Kundera. Immortality or The Book Of Laughter and Forgetting.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read Immortality, but toro is quite right in recommending the Book Of Laughter and Forgetting. Everyone talks about The Unbearable Lightness of Being but the former is better.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC