This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » The Best of the Booker (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Best of the Booker
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if it makes the shortlist for oublic voting, I reckon 'Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha' has a shot. It was both brilliant and very popular.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great call.

quote:
Following on from something in the latest Private Eye, what would be interesting would be a competition for the best books that didn't win the Booker Prize (but were eligible to do so).
Darkmans would have to be high on that list - all the more baffling when the eventual winner was by all accoutns deeply mediocre. I haven't seen a single positive review, even in the Irish media, which is usually tub-thumping about this kind of thing.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I really want to read 'The Gathering'. She was on Front Row last week and she sounded lovely. Really interesting on creativity and the writing process - and quite light-hearted.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'I remember we voted against that when we were choosing a book for GCSE english. was it good?'

You got to choose your books for GCSE English. That's not fair, we had ours forced upon us. But then the books we had forced upon us were To Kill a Mocking Bird and Of Mice and Men, so it wasn't all bad.

Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we chose 1984 and I think Lord of the Flies. To the evident relief of Mr Bailey the lovely teacher, who was panicking at the thought of having to read Pride and Prejudice again.

I am so enjoying Darkmans. I saw it in a shop a while ago and had not heard about it but liked the blurb - I'm glad I took the chance with it.

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well our English teacher was Mrs Bailey. She obviously loved To kill a Mocking Bird, and seemed quite happy teaching it non stop for 20 years.

I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I hadn't had to study it. As it is that book is lost to me now, I don't think I could ever go back.

Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Bailey. Bless him. He had a beard and used to wear mustard coloured suits. I thought he was sweet. He gave me 45/50 on a couple of essays and he let me choose my own poetry topic cos I didn't like Ted Hughes.

I don't think I could read TKAMB either, I think of it as something you can only read at that sort of age. I'm probably wrong.

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read it a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Yeah, we chose 1984 and I think Lord of the Flies."

oops, therein lies the flaw in that plan.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going into books that should have made the list but didn't, you need to consider the absolutely ludicrous bias against the comic novel that the Booker has (with the exception of The Old Devils and to an extent Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha) always maintained.

"The Rachel Papers", "What A Carve Up!" and "Lanark" are just three that immediately spring to mind.

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

What smallweed? Those are both excellent books.
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of Lord of the Flies. It's really hectoring and clunky. PIGGY REPRESENTS THE WEAK IN SOCIETY! SAM AND ERIC'S MUTATION TO SAMNERIC SYMBOLISES THE LOSS OF INDIVIDUAL IDENTITY!

etc. and so on

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

oh yeah sure, but when you're 14 and doing GCSE, it's kind of good for introducing stuff like that.
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put in a protest to our 5th form council that doing 'Lord of the Flies' followed by '1984' was an attempt at ideological coercion. Especially as we did 'Animal Farm' the year before. I was told to stop dabbling in politics and concentrate on getting good grades.

Not that I didn't appreciate Orwell even amidst my outrage, but the 'Cole's Notes' approach to the way both books were taught was blatantly ideological.

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been browsing down that list of winners and runners up. How on earth did Life of Pi beat Dirt Music? Or Vernon God Little beat Oryx and Crake? Or The Line of Beauty beat Cloud Atlas? Or The Inheritance of Loss beat, well, anything at all? I've only read one of the 2007 books, but Mister Pip is fantastic. They've been very wrong in this decade, haven't they?
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC