This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » The Best of the Booker (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Best of the Booker
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see they're doing this again. Clearly a marketing exercise, but still a good excuse for an interesting debate. Sounds like Midnight's Children (which I'm ashamed to say I still haven't read) is the hot favourite to win it again (it won last time they did this). Life of Pi is definitely in with a shout, too - it seemed like such a popular choice at the time - and the public will be voting for this (from a shortlist of six chosen by a Booker judging panel). My favourite Booker winner by miles - is JM Coetzee's Disgrace. But I reckon it's waaaaaaay too downbeat to win the public vote.

Any thoughts/tips from you lot?

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just looked up the list of winners (from which I presume the shortlist will be drawn). Is it really true that the only time Ian McEwan won it was for Amsterdam, which is by some distance his worst book?

Hard to see past Rushdie for me, though I'd perhaps vote for Arundhati Roy.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't see past Rushdie as a 'great' who emerged from the Bookers, but my fave winner is Barry Unsworth's 'Sacred Hunger'
Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Disgrace is a masterpiece too. The Sea, the Sea might be my actual favourite, though.

Otherwise I'm afraid I like the populist stuff - Possession, the English Patient, the Blind Assassin.

I couldn't get on with The God of Small things - should I give it another go?

[ 11.03.2008, 12:44: Message edited by: lyra ]

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's Disgrace - one of my favourite ever books, and partially set in the town in which I was born and grew up - just ahead of The Blind Assassin. I've only read four or five of the other winners though, so it's hardly that meaningful...
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot The Ghost Road, that's fantastic too, well, the whole trilogy is amazing.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't get on with The God of Small things - should I give it another go?

I loved it, but that obviously doesn't mean you will, so I'm dead reluctant to say yes in answer to that question.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can I find this list of booker winners then? I'd like to know how many I've actually read (if any)
Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winners_and_shortlisted_authors_of_the_Booker_Prize_for_Fiction
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. The Line Of Beauty
2. The Old Devils
3. The Remains Of The Day
4. Rites Of Passage
5. Last Orders

I reckon the punters will vote for McEwan because "Atonement" didn't win any Oscars.

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only Booker winner I've ever read was Oscar and Lucinda.

It wasn't bad.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

It's OK. I think it's the main reason I went to Parramatta when I was in Sydney last year. I only really remember the glass castle thing.
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following on from something in the latest Private Eye, what would be interesting would be a competition for the best books that didn't win the Booker Prize (but were eligible to do so).
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so even including Booker nominee's I've only read one on that list, Empire of the Sun, and I only finished that last week.
Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

I remember we voted against that when we were choosing a book for GCSE english. was it good?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC