This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » William Gaddis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: William Gaddis
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about 65 pages into The Recognitions and, while there are another 900 pages for it to go terribly, terribly wrong, it's absolutely superb so far. Very, very clever, and very, very funny.

Any other fans?

[ 22.02.2008, 16:21: Message edited by: The peak of El Toro-quino ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw from your Facebook status that you were reading this. I've been intrigued to tackle it, but I've never really felt interested enough to try it.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have The Recognitions, Carpenters Gothic, and a Frolic of His Own but i've only read about 100 pages of each. Let me know how you get on, i may try and go back to them (i dont really remember why i didnt finish them, probably me being crap rather than the books not being up to scratch)
Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finished it last night. it's really, really superb, but just a tad too big - even though there is no bit of it that isn't in some way utterly fantastic, it can't help but drag a bit...

Wonderful stuff, though, all the way through. it never lets up being totally hilarious. A bitter assault on religion by someone who understand the difference between proper religion and humbug. A better dissection of modern "phoniness" than Holden Caulfield could have managed in a billion years. An atheist Faust. I'd totally recommend it.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC