This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Slavoy Zizek - Violence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slavoy Zizek - Violence
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard an interview of this chap on R4 last night, anyone read anything of him, he seems to be controversial althought the BBC journalist interviewing him seemed quite in awe. I liked what I heard and I think I might add this book on my Amazon list:

Link

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's been flavour of the month in certain intellectual circles for close to a decade now, and is incredibly prolific.

I've never found his stuff to be particularly irrestible, but you might take a look at the pieces in his LRB archive to see if he clicks with you.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slavoj.

There's a documentary about him--Zizek!

He was the focus of a conference at UCLA when I was there, and I rang up his purchase in the bookstore. I doubt there would be many other philosophers that I would recognize. He was buying copies of his own books (to hand out, I presume).

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just reading this for review at the moment. Very enjoyable. He has a good way of mixing jokes, anecdotes and popular culture reference into his writing and his ideas are very sound, I think. Mind you, the central message of Violence was summarised by Michael Palin's bolshie peasant in Monty Python & The Holy Grail; "Come and see the violence inherent in the system!!"
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He sounded very charismatic on R4, very driven.

I've added it to my shopping basket in Amazon anyhow.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I will say is I'm either not smart enough or not patient enough to read more than a page of Zizek's prose in one sitting. Despite this, it's clear he has important things to say.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got his Metastases of Enjoyment cheaply yesterday, I'll let you know how I get on when I get around to reading it.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kowalski
Member # 10292

- posted      Profile for Kowalski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He also made a documentary about Children of Men, it's on the extras of the dvd
Posts: 595 | From: People's Republic of Llandudno | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that Zizek in the back of my mini once. Picked him up from Manchester Airport and took him to Lancaster for a conference, and back again. Very nice man. But I did love his stuff at the time, though most of his recent LRB articles have been bobbins.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He certainly knows how to use ctrl-c followed by ctrl-v. Large chunks of his books appear in later books/articles.

He's a bit of a Lenin apologist too.

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've started Metastases. It's very, very good so far, but pretty tough going.

Wyatt Earp, do not under any circumstances read this book. It *will* give you an aneurysm.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I say bit of a Lenin apologist?

I meant a LOT of a Lenin apologist.

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

So, I finished Metastases. It's very good, but very mad. Lacan plus Marx plus Hegel plus Derrida plus David Lynch and Alfred Hitchcock.

He's giving a talk in Leeds tonight - I'm tempted to go, though I'm not really sure I have time, it's TWO WEEKS to my thesis deadline.

What's his English like? That might be a determining factor, because I'm definitely not going to see a mad Ricky Tomlinson lookalike do Marxist psychoanalysis of George Clooney if it's in Sinisa Mihaijlovic's voice...

Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you go? Only saw this thread revive today, so couldn't advise that his English is slightly comical, but perfectly intelligable.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

No, I had to put my hands on a friend's head and hold all the pieces together...

Pity.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC