This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Christmas Books (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Christmas Books
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not one.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots.

The Final Solution, Michael Chabon (already finished - very nice little read about a retired Sherlock Holmes finding a stolen parrot).

And Then We Came To The End, Joshua Ferris (just started, okay so far, although with that little embarrassing "Richard & Judy Book Club" sticker hastily removed).

Darkmans, Nicola Barker (not yet started, based on recommendations here).

The Road, Cormac McCarthy (ditto).

The Retreat From Mons By One Who Shared In It, Major A Corbett-Smith (1917 book that reads like a grim combination of Richard Holmes and Wingco's match reports).

After Dark, Haruki Murakami (giving him another try, and, er, I liked the cover).

The Gum Thief, Douglas Coupland (I generally like anything Coupland writes).

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Darkmans, Nicola Barker (not yet started, based on recommendations here).

Well, then, I certainly hope you enjoy it...
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy.

The Age of Revolution: Europe, 1789-1848, E.J.Hobsbawn.

Diary of a Nobody, George and Weedon Grossmith.

Eleven Kinds of Loneliness, Richard Yates.

Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Transit Maps of the World, Mark Ovendon

Shortcomings, Adrian Tomine

What Is the What, Dave Eggers

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got three:

Calcio (which I've already got)

Dynamo - defending the honour of Kiev

European Fields - the landscape of lower league football

All from my Amazon wish list

Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
St Pancras Station (as recommended by Tubby, but entirely coincidentally picked out by my mum)

The Singapore Grip by JG Farrell

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bought by others for me:

The Sweeter Side of R. Crumb Robert Crumb (AdeC jr.)
The Boys Book of Soccer 1966 Dennis Smith (My Dad)
A Northern Coast to Coast Walk Terry Marsh (My Dad)

Bought by me for me:

A Life of Picasso: Volume II, The Cubist Rebel, 19071916 John Richardson
About Looking John Berger
On Kitsch Odd Nerdrum

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, I got quite a pile of books. Partly through my girlfriend now working in publishing, but we will remove those from the list.

Heat - Bill Bufford works in Babbo, one of New York's most famous and ridiculous restaurants. Won't get to read that for a month or so.

All the rest were from my brother, and to help with my future career. The way of the Turtle, Market Wizards, New Market Wizards, Reminiscences of a stock operator and a few others. Combined with my own readings, I am going to turn into one seriously spod-like market analyst.

[ 31.12.2007, 19:25: Message edited by: die grosse linke Hand ]

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Booktastic Xmas:

Provided You Don't Kiss Me by Duncan Hamilton

Fire and Steam - A New History of the Railways by Christian Wolmar

My Father, and Other Working Class Football Heroes by Gary Imlach

How to Take a Penalty - The Hidden Mathematics of Sport By John Haigh and Rob Eastway

My Life by Fidel Castro

Conspicuous Consumption by Thorstein Veblen

The Intruders by Michael Marshall

Tescopoly by Andrew Simms

Already read three of em since Xmas...must slow down and make the pleasure last.

Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Steep Approach to Garbadaleby Iain Banks.
Some decent writing, but he's basically fused the plots of The Crow Road and The Business which suggests his imagination is getting a little tired.

Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog by Boris Akunin.

I like Akunin's writing style very much, and this was typically readable, but not quite gripping enough.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian Botham's 'Head On' autobiography

Griff Rhys Jones' autobiography

'Grumpy Old Christmas'

A novel by William Boyd called 'Restless'

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got Jim Murray's guide to whisky 2007 (which contained some amazing revelations about Swiss whiskies...) and the Wainwright walks book from the TV series, fascinating stuff even when you are sitting in an office and the Lake District is a hundred miles away...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll find that the books came first...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Deep. It's full of fantastic photos of weird and wonderful creatures like this:

-

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC