This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Wireless reading - Kindle (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wireless reading - Kindle
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what do we all make of Amazon's Kindle?

A wireless reading device with 'electronic paper' display, that lets you download books (and international newspapers) from Amazon and read them immediately; and without any monthly fee. It also has free access to Wikipedia.

My gut reaction was that it would never catch on (especially at $400), but I can see some of the attraction - it'd be fantastic if you were on holiday, for one thing.

Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want one.

When it gets cheaper.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of techie sites are bitchin' about it (for some sharing/file format problems or something), but reading books electronically doesn't really appeal to me.

Listening to books, yes, but there are lots of ways to do that already.

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a couple of the main problems are highlighted here:

Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The format thing is the killer. Books are different even from (recorded) music in this regard. With recorded music you've always been stuck with needing something to translate the format into sound. With paper books, all you need is your eyesight and literacy. Electronic formats notoriously fall by the wayside. And quickly. Try to get a reader for a 25 (say) year old format, and you'll be struggling.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole proprietary use thing will be its downfall, I think.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I wasn't talking about the Kindle itself so much as the idea of electronic books (and whether they can replace paper books) in general.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, since being ill recently I've developed a pretty heavy screen aversion that I don't think any electronic medium could surpass. Every office worker in the world stares at screens all day long, and as people read primarily to step outside their daily grind I don't think (admittedly, not having seen one in action) any gadget's going to be that appealing. You can already stick something to read on your laptop for free if you're travelling, or probably on your phone if it's not a "retro phone" (ie dates back to 2002) like mine.

I was about to say that I can see how something like this could work as an alternative to newspapers, with the shorter, bittier nature of their copy; but even then you couldn't use it in the bath, you'd be apprehensive about tucking something that expensive under your arm and running for a bus, and there's no way to draw a cock on John Harris's forehead.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to have it to save space, instead of all of these magazines and books piling up and slowly taking over my apartment.

And it would be great for storing various documents and stuff I need for work. Bigger and more readable than a blackberry or iphone, but not as cumbersome as a laptop. Plus, it works on the cell system not wifi, which is a plus.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do envy younger people, who will be building totally intangible music collections. It was a big pain to have to move quantities of CDs, cassettes, and lots of vinyl when I bought my house. So the idea of having one's book collection on a machine is a bit tempting, meaning no need to buy bookcases or find a place to put them, although it does mean no checking out your friend's bookshelves when you visit.

The other downsides were already mentioned. It would also be pretty sad not to be able to say to a friend, "I loved this book. Want to borrow it?" People I know share books all the time.

Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the "book" is in an open format, you could just send it to their (something better than Kindle) electronic book reading device instead.

The Kindle looks ugly, like it was designed in 1999, and is unnecessarily limited. And who's going to pay for blogs?

In general, e-paper's surely got a big future but this device isn't for me, for many of the reasons listed already here.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

The books aren't in an open format, I don't think - they're a special Kindle format, which is one of the criticisms.
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what I meant by saying "something better than Kindle", just addressing Jimski's point about ebooks in general. Obviously not very clearly, though.

Edit: Jimski, not Inca.

[ 05.12.2007, 21:47: Message edited by: goldstone97 ]

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

Ah sorry, my fault for not looking at the context. I agree with you about it being ugly - but apparently it's a lot nicer looking when you have it in your hand.

Another factor is that - a bit like the iPhone - I'd feel a bit vulnerable carrying around something so obviously expensive and portable on public transport, or the likes. I might just be being a tad paranoid, though!

[ 05.12.2007, 21:58: Message edited by: The Moral Animal. ]

bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see these, or something like these (but better), catching on at schools. I'm sure I still have spinal problems from bringing a backpack full of heavy textbooks around with me as a kid.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC