This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Crime Fiction (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Crime Fiction
Danger Mouse
Member # 111

- posted      Profile for Danger Mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was having a vague discussion about books with a colleague the other day and we turned to the topic of crime fiction.

I can't remember the last time I read any and I rather think I'd like it. After all, I love Waking the Dead. Although I appreciate that's a fairly specific type of crime fiction.

Anyway, your recommendations please...

Posts: 2176 | From: Baker Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon/juan
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for jon/juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a good thread on this quite recently, DM. It was entitled Agatha Christie but it soon went onto other crime novelists, past and present.

Here it is, thanks to Google.

A brief aside to everyone - be careful when searching for old threads on Google - I got a nasty virus trying to find something on D'Angelo the other day.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danger Mouse
Member # 111

- posted      Profile for Danger Mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thank you. I was going to search for it and then realised the search button had disappeared.
Posts: 2176 | From: Baker Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start with "Caught Stealing" by Charlie Huston. Absolutely cracking read, first in a trilogy.
Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this one...

http://www.onetouchfootball.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000627

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sara Paretsky is good, but make sure you don't miss Michael Dibdin.
Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmore Leonard's as readable and reliable a novelist as any. Always a pleasure to read.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least Kid Dynamite mentioned my main man, Jim Thompson in the American Crime Fiction.

I could read 10 books in a row by him. His characters are the worst scum of the earth, and yet some how you end up cheering for them. Because even if they're murdering racist rapist hijo de putas, they're all American Individualists at heart who are bucking the system. It's like cheering for malaria-carrying blood-sucking mosquitoes, because they're always just one smack away from oblivion.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've started reading Ian Rankin's Rebus novels recently and I think they're pretty good. The Rebus character is almost cliched in a way - the hard drinking cop, with a strained relationship with his superiors, and a failed marriage etc, yet Rankin manages to pull it off, and make the character believable (although he isn't quite right in the first couple of novels). Rankin makes the most of Edinburgh as a setting too. Black and Blue is a good place to start (even though it's book 9 in the series)

James Ellroy is another good one. LA Confidential is brilliant, and well worth a read even if you saw the film. (I'm re-reading it now as it happens)

Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Connolly is brilliant. His Harry Bosch novels set in LA are always a great read. Try the concrete blonde.
Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend just recommended the books of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I think they might fall under the Crime Fiction category.

Here's the website http://www.prestonchild.com/

She said they were very well researched, and she recommended that I start with the one called "Brimstone". I bought a copy, but haven't read it yet.

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmore Leonards the king of US crime fiction.
Try the aforementioned Jim Thomson as well.
Ross Mcdonald, Raymond Chandler, Dashiel Hamnet for private detective stuff.
Daniel Woodrell for your US southern state maverick cop fix.
James Crumley for PI texas/montana situated japes.
Has anyone read "the yiddish policemans union" yet? Film Noir style cop novel set in a world where the allies gifted Alaska instead of Israel to the survivors of the holocaust?. Im tempted but not at hardback prices.

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just read the new deaver book, 'sleeping doll'. very good, first of his i ahve read

not sure its crime, more lunatic escapes from prison, but still

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've a mate who can't get enough of Harlan Coben.
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someones selling a set of 25 Elmore Leonard paperbacks on ebay atm. Therell be nothing better sold on ebay this century.
Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC