This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Damned Utd (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Damned Utd
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tubby, I think the genius of the novel is the juxtaposition of Clough and Taylor's glory years on the way up at Derby and Clough's nightmare at Leeds. Even on the way to glory at Derby we witness Clough's vicious paranoia; once the salve of success is removed - his time at Leeds - he goes absolutely bananas.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I get round to it, it'll be the 5th book of his I've tried to get through. Sounds mint, though.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imp
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for imp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one, Tubby - good to have a dissenting view at last, and your points are valid from a literary perspective. It was a lightweight, very quick read, but I raced through it because I was loving it, despite a few reservations pointed out earlier on the thread. Though a cynic might say it was written like that so he wouldn't have to spend more than a couple of hours converting it to screenplay format.
Posts: 4427 | From: such great heights | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Literary perspective is putting it a bit strongly. I take Ant's point about the contrast but I'm not sure this is enough to sustain it. Going bananas at Leeds is the interesting bit and it might have worked better to have even more emphasis on that. I mean he tells virtually all the story of injury, Hartlepool, Derby before. Couldn't he have been a bit more selective? As Dr SS said, the film'll do it like that.

I find it hard to race through books that dodge back and forth in time.

btw, I don't think it's "bloody rubbish"- that was a bit of Cloughie language. You see I can do literature, me.

[ 28.01.2007, 09:48: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imp
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for imp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, let's say "literary perspective" uttered with a smidgen of irony (is there a smilie for that?).
Posts: 4427 | From: such great heights | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Irony? That slipped past my vanity nicely.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imp
Member # 30

Well, I'm putting in the irony retrospectively. Clearly there's not much literary analysis in your post, but I always associate you with having an intelligent and erudite approach to books (if that will put the hairs back on your vanity chest).
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

I'm not sure chest hair is such a good thing now. It might go grey.
Villain
Member # 468

- posted      Profile for Villain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished this book and thought it was very good.

********* Spoiler ************

So thats why he always wore a green goalkeepers jersey.

Posts: 2049 | From: Croydon init | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
giles unimpressed

[ 15.02.2007, 20:41: Message edited by: garcia en dolor ]

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good man!

Will listen to this over dinner.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what are you eating, a bag of chipsticks? it's a minute long.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't access that Giles link. Would anyone be so kind as to relay the gist of his comments?
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he didn't go into too much detail but he was saying that he didn't like the way he was portrayed in the book, or Clough, or Bremner; essentially, he objected to the whole idea of "fiction based on fact" and suggested that there might be some sort of collective effort involving him to stop a movie of the film being made.
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you kindly, wingco
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC