This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » "Arguably the most shocking event in comic book history" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Arguably the most shocking event in comic book history"
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spiderman breaks cover. It looks like Marvel are aping The Incredibles:
quote:
Following a showdown between a group of superheroes and supervillains in which hundreds of innocent civilians are killed, the government passes the Super-Hero Registration Act, requiring all superheroes to reveal their identities and register as "living weapons of mass destruction.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not seen The Incredibles, but crikey. Surely that's going to mess with the whole way the writers have to think about plots?
"Spiderman is nearly discovered when... oh crap"
"Spiderman really wishes he could tell the love of his life how he feels about her, and his true identity... oh crap".
Good on 'em for challenging themselves, it'll be interesting to see how they cope with it. I shall purchase.

Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Living in the sticks, I haven't bought a comic book for yeasrs (not since my college days) does anyone know any decent online shops?
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Writers could just set their storylines before the Registration Act, but you're right, it will completely change the usual superhero dynamic. I really like the idea of the superheroes taking sides though - it's a bit reminiscent of Miller's Dark Knight approach, or even I suppose the Xavier/Magneto relationship.

Pe Gales (who are you, by the way?), your best bet is probably Ebay. It will be far cheaper.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GY I was MTRF until ganja gave me a Brazilian name.
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MTRF, so lets get this straight

YOU used to buy comic books!

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

erm ... yes <blush>
jon/juan
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for jon/juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew this would be about Civil War just by the thread title. Not that I'm reading it but for the last 2 or so years both Marvel and DC have been going down this route of bringing out mini-series that "will have a profound and long-lasting effect on the super-hero universe." Or certainly until the next one comes along.

Spiderman is one of the last Marvel super-heroes to reveal his identity. Many have been 'outed' recently, (eg Daredevil and Iron Man) primarily because there's only a finite number of stories that can be told using the whole hidden identity concept. Of course, Spider-man revealing himself as Peter Parker was always going to be the biggy. Can't see this happening to Batman quite yet though.

Although I won't be buying Civil War (after buying every issue of Secret Wars 2 as a teenager I vowed to never again buy an 'event' comic), I must admit the concept of a Super-Hero Registration Act, with the super-heroes dividing themselves into two factions over the issue sounds interesting. Plus it's written by Mark Millar, who wrote the consistently brilliant Ultimates.

Pe Gales - I would recommend trade paperback over comics as you normally get around 6 issues in each book. Nearly all comics these days are reprinted in trade paperback form a few weeks after they've hit the comic shops as single issue comics. And Amazon has got a more than decent selection.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you on the trade-paperbacks and also on the crapness of Secret Wars 2.

The Civil War concept is intriguing, although it has already been done in The Dark Knight, Watchmen, X-men, to some extent, and The Incredibles.

If it works, it will be interesting. If it fails, Marvel will create some incredibly implausible (even by comic book standards) cosmic event to set things back the way they used to be.

I guess I just haven't been paying attention, but I don't see how Spider-man can afford to reveal himself. Surely that puts Mary Jane and Aunt May, among others, in too much jeopardy.

Batman can never reveal his identity because it would jeopardize his ability to fund his ongoing battle via WayneTech.

I read comics-always as TPBs- very sporatically. If this Civil War business is well reviewed, I'll pick up the books in a few months or years, if not, I'll give it a miss and read a summary on the web somewhere if I need the info to understand subsequent stories.

I take it that this Civil War effects the "main" continuum and not the revamped universe of the Ultimates series?

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having just finished Marvel Zombies, I can safely say that I have read the Without-A-Doubt Most Shocking Event in Comic Book History.

It's going to take a forklift to get my jaw off the floor.

Not sure to put this in current comic reading or this thread, but given that it was so incredibly shocking, so out-there, so mind-blowing, so insane, so bizzare and outlandish, I had to put it in this one.

For those who didn't know about this, basically it's the same Night of the Living Dead/Shaun of the Dead/Living Dead story, in which an intergalactic comet carrying a virus that promptly infects the creatures on earth in which they end up eating each other, with those not completely consumed being turned into zombies.

Now when I say "intergalactic comet carrying a virus that infects the creatures on earth," that includes Superheroes.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please, please tell me that The Hulk rips off Peter Parker's arm and eats it like corn on the cob.
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon/juan
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for jon/juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The covers of Marvel Zombies are brilliant. They are homages to iconic Marvel covers.

Here are some:

-

Amazing Fantasy 15 (first ever appearance of Spidey)

-

Daredevil (think it's 181)

-

Amazing Spider-Man Annual 21 (Petey and MJ wedding)

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matej, but the zombified David Banner does have some trouble digesting what zombified Hulk ends up eating.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David?!
Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those covers look like pre-Comic Code covers.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC