This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Douglas Coupland (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Douglas Coupland
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corn dogs are quite popular in Australia - they're called 'Dagwood Dogs' over there. Bit of a grim idea if you ask me.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else read JPod? It's Microserfs v2.0 and it's fantastic if you're going on holiday!
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little bit disappointed with it. At times it just felt like a lukewarm rehash of Microserfs, and the pages of buzzwords and phrases felt like a gimmick to pad it out.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read it. I'm not sure I have an opinion on it really. Computer geek plus weird family.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find him a bit flat. Some good ideas, but his style wears me out a bit.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly what SSS said. "Flat" is definitely the word I'd use. I really don't get what all the fuss is about. His first couple were good at the time, but I don't think he has the writing talent to sustain a career.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I found it entertaining. Easpecially as I was in Vancouver at the time I read it.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this onetouchbooks lark. I went too far too soon and I want out, Ted...

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually enjoy Coupland, and Generation X is one of my favourite "comfort books" if I want a familiar read. I just felt a bit let down by JPod, it felt like an author trying to stay Hip With The Kids. If it'd been written a year later I guarantee it would have been full of YouTube and MySpace.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, trying to be a zeitgeist man. I used to like that about him. Now there feels like there's little else to it.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly what SSS said. "Flat" is definitely the word I'd use. I really don't get what all the fuss is about. His first couple were good at the time, but I don't think he has the writing talent to sustain a career.

is he not a little autistic?

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SSS? Yes absolutely. He can't leave the flat unless he's wearing his lucky socks.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only read Girlfriend in a Coma, and it was ok. I thought the storyline was good, but the characters didn't draw me in at all. Thus it did indeed feel a little 'flat' (good choice of word by SSS). There was no emotional connection whatsoever. I might try another of his some time, but hardly that high on my list really.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You thought the storyline to 'Girlfriend In A Coma' was good?! It's the sort of made-up-as-you-go-along gobbledygook that even Steven King or M Knight Whatsisface would have rejected immediately as being ludicrous.

He writes in pull quotes.

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a valid comparison. The central idea - everyone in the world falls asleep apart from these few people - is pure Stephen King, and nothing wrong with that, in my view. I think King is a fairly good populist writer, and is better than he's generally given credit for.

Weirdly, by taking a King-like conceit and writing it frankly badly, with less compelling characters, less emotional impact, and ultimately less intelligence and subtext, but in a self-consciously modernist style, Copeland somehow gets taken far more seriously.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SSS? Yes absolutely. He can't leave the flat unless he's wearing his lucky socks.

haha, not quite. I think there was an interview with Euan Ferguson in the Observer where they go up the sears tower, and I think Ferguson says he's a little autistic.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC