This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Pick your five true classics (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Pick your five true classics
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent. I was going to start a new thread fishing for recommendations, but this might work just as well...

Off the top of my head, in no order:

Skylark - Dezso Kosztolanyi
The War with the Newts - Karel Capek
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
The Loser - George Konrad
Arcadia - Tom Stoppard
*The German Lesson - Siegfried Lenz

(Though Dickens and Woolf should really have been in there, I can't decide which ones...)

(edit: when I originally typed this post of yesterday, before I lost my internet connection, I had remembered to include Lenz, but it slipped my mind somewhere between yesterday and today...)

[ 10.02.2005, 14:48: Message edited by: AttJ ]

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not claiming to have an intimate knowledge of all these, but...

Chaucer, Canterbury Tales
Wilkie Collins, The Woman In White
Thomas Hardy, Jude The Obscure
John Milton, Paradise Lost
Swift, Gulliver's Travels

or, if we're talking C20th...

Yevgeny Zamyatin, We
Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister
Franz Kafka, The Trial
George Orwell, 1984
Evelyn Waugh, Vile Bodies

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Favourites in no order:-

The Wind Up Bird Chronicles - Haruki Murakami
Under the Frog - Tibor Fischer
The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis
Dune - Frank Herbert
Forge of God - Greg Bear
Almost Transparent Blue - Ryu Murakami
Birdsong - Ian McEwan

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radioactive
Member # 892

- posted      Profile for radioactive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, Birdsong was Sebastian Faulkes wasn't it? An excellent book though. Your list is the closest to mine yet, what exquisite taste you have.
Posts: 550 | From: Manchester | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, yes it was. God knows how I managed that.
And my salutations to you too sir. You have an excellent eye for fiction yourself.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thom
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for thom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picking two is easy, as they are by some distance my favourites ever:

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

After that there's a whole load to think of. I guess I would add the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales and Romeo and Juliet pretty quick, but I'm hesitant to say for sure for fear of excluding many others.

Posts: 3135 | From: The heart of Midlothian | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Hazard of Hearts, Barbara Cartland
Kane & Abel, Jeffrey Archer
Hotel, Arthur Hailey
Broken Music: Memoirs, Sting
Beyond Basic Woodturning, Mark Baker

Can't wait to read The Da Vinci Code

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, alright then:

Money, Martin Amis
Nineteen eighty four, George Orwell
Slaughterhouse 5, Kurt Vonnegut
L'Etranger/The Outsider, Albert Camus
The Naked Lunch, William Burroughs

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

Not like you to be making lists, ganja
World Cup Willie
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for World Cup Willie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Good Soldier Svejk - Jaroslav Hasek
The Beiderbecke Trilogy - Alan Plater
Scoop - Evelyn Waugh
Arcadia - Jim Crace
Julius Caesar - William Shakespeare

Posts: 1562 | From: the axis of pain-pleasure to the arc of desire | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like your style, Willie.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
World Cup Willie
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for World Cup Willie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers PG. I haven't actually finished Svejk yet. I started it about three summers ago, and keep reading the odd 30 pages and moving on to something else instead. It is very very funny, but a little hard going in places. (From your list, I've only read Brideshead. Is that an awful admission?)
Posts: 1562 | From: the axis of pain-pleasure to the arc of desire | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's your good fortune. You get to read them all for the first time.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
World Cup Willie
Member # 905

Go on, recommend one to start with. (Not Wuthering Heights though...)
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

Wuthering Heights.

Sorry, red rag to a bull, that.

Seriously, it's an excellent book. Obsessive, powerful, violent, gripping and mad. I anticipated some piece of clever-clever girly slush and was stunned by what I found.

If you really refuse to touch it then go for A Confederacy of Dunces (especially seeing as you like Scoop).

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC