This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » books/music/music/book..... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: books/music/music/book.....
a frozen fox
Member # 723

- posted      Profile for a frozen fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
am currently reading paul morley's autobiography/proustian discourse, 'nothing'.
ostensibly about his dads suicide with some great diversions into the manchester music scene.
anymore books/music crossovers to recommmend?
eg; 'ginger geezer' 'the glamour chase'.

Posts: 32 | From: bradford, w. yorks | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite clear about what you want to chat about here. Are you talking about figures from the music world who've gone on to write in a broader sphere? Or books that incorporate musical themes alongside others?

If it's the former, a tip of the hat and a howdy-doody to Kinky Friedman, whose novels (featuring a version of himself as the protagonist) are splendid examples from that highly entertaining zone where wisecracking detective fiction merges imperceptibly into a smartass parody of itself. There's still a lot of honky-tonkin' music in there, too.

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melmoth the Wonderer
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Melmoth the Wonderer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Giles Smith's [EMAIL]Lost in Music[/EMAIL] is an entertaining account of his life in 80s music, living in the shadow of Nik Kershaw.

I've never read Don de Lillo's Great Jones Street, which was the source for a long quote on lots of Kurt Cobain 1967-1994 T-shirts. Is it any good?

Posts: 705 | From: langley park to memphis | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ploughing through Al Franken's tome on the American Right. Amusing and depressing. Rush Limbaugh telling a man whose father died in the WTC tragedy to 'fuck off' out of his studio after expressing his opposition to the Iraq war.

Christ sakes.

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a frozen fox
Member # 723

- posted      Profile for a frozen fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,i was thinking more along the lines of people involved in music and finding a secondary outlet through writing, as it is rarely the other way around.
As FC,s recomendation (which i have read FC)and the excellent wreckless eric, warts 'n'all autobiogaphy.
sorry, i have just realised paul morley is the exception to my first point!

Posts: 32 | From: bradford, w. yorks | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony Burgess was a prolific classical composer. He wrote, amongst other things, several symphonies, an opera and a ballet. I think I've heard it said that he'd have preferred to have been principally a composer rather than a writer.

I've not heard any of his compositions, so I don't know whether they're any good though.

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Milan Kundera was a classically trained musician and (I think) musicologist. Many of his essays are about themes from classical music.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray Mexted
Member # 707

- posted      Profile for Murray Mexted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rush Limbaugh telling a man whose father died in the WTC tragedy to 'fuck off' out of his studio after expressing his opposition to the Iraq war.

Was it not Bill O'Reilly?

Posts: 8483 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It most certainly was. I stand corrected. Although O'Reilly and Limbaugh seem so unpleasant it's hard to tell them apart. In print, anyway.
Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louise Wener out of that fourth division Britpop band Sleeper wrote a book. I think it's called Goodnight Steve McQueen. I haven't read it - but it looks dreadful. Mind you, at least she's keeing herself busy. I wonder what the rest of the band are doing...?
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it's the former, a tip of the hat and a howdy-doody to Kinky Friedman, whose novels (featuring a version of himself as the protagonist) are splendid examples from that highly entertaining zone where wisecracking detective fiction merges imperceptibly into a smartass parody of itself. There's still a lot of honky-tonkin' music in there, too.
Kinky had a band in the 70s, Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys. It takes a certain type to get the humor. If I'm not mistaken, I think he was part of Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue, with all of the Nudie country outfits.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danger Mouse
Member # 111

- posted      Profile for Danger Mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Louise Wener out of that fourth division Britpop band Sleeper wrote a book. I think it's called Goodnight Steve McQueen. I haven't read it - but it looks dreadful. Mind you, at least she's keeing herself busy.
Not only that but she keeps appearing on late night Five Live as well, adding nothing to debates at all other than to plug her next book (I think she's up to number three now - so, they're obviously time consuming tomes).

Oh, and so Matthew Bannister can flirt with her.

Posts: 2176 | From: Baker Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Salmon Rusty used to write advertising jingles and slogans, I think, before going on to write the Booker of Bookers, Midnight's Children.

I believe he was responsible for the words Naughty But Nice.

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Fay Weldon was responsible for the slogan "Go to work on an egg".

There's a bit of useless trivia for you.

Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just embarked on Morley's 'Nothing'. Only a few pages in, but already it's proving to be an infuriating mix of the wonderful and the excrutiating, often within the space of a sentence. I'm glad the are some diversions into the Manchester music scene on the horizon, as an entirely unbroken stretch of his philisophical meanderings from cover to cover might prompt me to relegate the book to downstairs loo status.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC