This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » fantasy books that can hold their own (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: fantasy books that can hold their own
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JJB, if anyone ever suggests that you and I do a comedy double act with me as straight man, turn them down.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only got it after reading the other thread over on onetouchworld.

But I'll have a glass of cheeky vimto, cheers.

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ale, I don't know where you got the idea that the reason I felt Imajica was better than The Talisman was because King coppied Barker.

I was merely saying that the stories are comparable plot-wise, and Imajica is better.

Chronlogy is irrelevant in this case.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And do tell, WE and EIM, what the fuck are you saying? That I am not funny? That I am a crap writer? Or that perhaps my opinions aren't valid? Please enlighten me.

[ 11-03-2003, 08:01: Message edited by: Jumping Jim Brunzell ]

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it was I who trotted out the very same gag over on otw a few days ago, maybe I can lend a hand. JJB, you need to read Wyatt's post of 09-03-2003, 12:43 out loud.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway.

Fantasy's one of those genres that I can pretty much say that I've never read any because I don't like it. I have the same aversion to fantasy as I do about science fiction: that is, the writer isn't constrained by the practicalities, logic and structures of the real world. I realise that many writers, the good ones, work hard to establish consistent and coherent worlds but my suspicious mind always tells me naggingly that if the rules turn out to be inconvenient then they can be amended.

Having said that, I really like Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast books. The first two, anyway. The leap between the oppressive, enclosed, medievally ritualistic society of the first two books and the wide-open world of the third is a difficult leap to make. I found it very difficult to contine when they started driving round in cars, I can tell you - I'd never considered the books to be set in a contemporary era at all, and it was quite a jolt.

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for The Quiet Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His drawings are worth a look. I was lucky enough to see some when on my librarianship course - we had a coach trip to Grasmere to see the Wordsworth archive and there happened to be an exhibition of some of Peake's works on at the time.
Posts: 6639 | From: The Chestnut Tree Café | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Chores? = What's Yours?

At which point you say: A pint of lager beer, please.

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for The Quiet Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A phrase I believe I have never used.
Posts: 6639 | From: The Chestnut Tree Café | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

Oh, right.

Sorry.

Posty Webber
Member # 325

What you say about fantasy not having to worry about the constraints of the real world is true Andy C. That's one of the reasons as to why so much fantasy is shite, and why I am so interested to hear of any books that seem to transcend that negative aspect of the genre.

I also rate Gormenghast - I forgot to mention that as one of the books that I love. So wonderful and dark.

[ 11-03-2003, 10:12: Message edited by: Jumping Jim Brunzell ]

Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

"A phrase I believe I have never used."

I think that's what I asked for the very first time I tried to get served in a pub.

Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

I read Elidor once, does that count as a fantasy book that holds its own?

[ 11-03-2003, 10:26: Message edited by: EIM ]

Andy C
Member # 51

Yeah, Peake's art is great - probably the book illustrations are a finer body of work than the paintings, but they're all good. He's very meticulous, but at the same time there's a lightness of touch that enables him to extend to the comic end of the spectrum. He's one of the rare illustrators whose work seems to add something significant to the work rather than just converting words into pictures.

I suspect that his childhood in China provided a very important influence on his approach and style - and you can detect impressions of the Chinese court in Gormenghast, too.

http://www.mervynpeake.org/home.html

Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to mention Mervyn Peake, but instead I decided to set up Jim for an antediluvian one-liner, then grumble churlishly when he didn't pick it up. (Sorry for any offence--all inadvertent, as you see.)

Like Jim, I have a very low tolerance for chaps wielding (they always "wield", don't they?) swords called Eladon, forged and tempered by dwarvish smiths in the mighty underground furnaces of Hothtaroth, and saying "Now, brave warriors and wizards, comes our final test, as, our hearts and sinews hardened by war and woe, we enter our fated death-struggle with the evil Hordes of Gingamangol!" I mean, a little of that goes an awfully long way, don't you think?

But Gormenghast I love. Though it flopped hideously on telly, didn't it? They just read the whole thing completely wrong, and played it like Monty Python.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC