This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Watchmen (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Watchmen
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They look pretty Silver Age to me, like in the comic. Silk Spectre looks like a hot girl in a well made Jean Gray costume, but not superpowered.

However, I agree that something is lost when taking it from the page. Dave Gibbons art in Watchmen is deliberately colored to look like a four-color, newsprint Silver Age comic. Compared to most graphic novels created today or even something contemporaneous like The Dark Knight Returns with more advanced color printing and heavy paper, it looks a bit flat and clunky.

As soon as you try to turn that into a live action film, something of the "feel" of the book will be lost. Either everything will look too shiny and dyanamic (as you suggest) or it will just look cheap and silly like some of the pre-CGI attemps to put superheroes on TV. See here and here and here and here and here.

They can't look too cheesy, or it won't be believable that they actually beat up criminals or were idolized.

The key is Rosharch. As I recall, most of the story is about him and his inner monologue.

From Hell wasn't too bad, although nothing remotely like Alan Moore's book (which is fine, because the book is a 700 page vanity project. I've tried to read it, but it's like going to a 15-hour lecture). V was pretty faithful although a bit condensed. I've never been able to get further than about 10 minutes into League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I think we should move this discussion over to alt.nerd.obsessive.

[ 06.03.2008, 22:59: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Spiderman pic isn't accurate. That Spiderman show was cheesier than the Big Red Cheese. The webs were friggin white ropes that the poor bad guy actors had to get "caught" with.

Interesting point about the old feel. The only time I've seen that done to perfection was The Incredibles, during the 8mm flashback scenes. Perhaps the time is right for Pixar to do the Disney/Touchstone thing and come out with adult Computer Animation.

As negative as GY is, you can't say it's not smart money to take his view. However, Sin City, Spiderman 2, and Superman II would beg to differ.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sin City's a good adaptation, but it doesn't really work as a film. And the others, good as they are, are based on archetypal superhero comics. See also X-Men.

[ 07.03.2008, 03:11: Message edited by: Ginger Yellow ]

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously disagree about Sin City. If it doesn't work as a film it's only because it works so well as a nightmare.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, JV, that was the only picture I could find.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For the DVD, they're filming an animated movie of the Black Freighter story, with voice done by Gerard Butler. I don't know how much of that will be in the actual film.

Hmmm... I was wondering about how they were going to crowbar that section in... I suppose making it a seperate feature makes sense, but isn't the point of it (in the comic) that it's a commentary on the main action?

There's reviews of the leaked-script for this film all over the internet. I don't know if any are genuine, but they're all very negative - loads of setpiece action-scenes with Dr Manhattan going around the world blowing things up...

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

Reviews on the internet are usually negative.
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why couldn't they do this as a cartoon?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

Like an anime thing? That would be ideal. However, in the US (and the UK too, I suspect) most adults think cartoons are, by definition, for small kids, and therefore animated films for adults never get more than a small audience.

That's not true in Japan, which is why cool animated films like Akira and Ghost in the Shell come from Japan. They do some great stuff, but until fairly recently, they had to do it on a small budget which is why a lot of anime looks sort of choppy.

Japanese anime also tends to be tied, more or less, to certain Japanese manga and anime conventions (the big eyes signifying sympathetic characters, giant robots, etc) so the full potential of the medium hasn't really been explored.

However, with the advent of DVD and increasing interest in anime in the US, that's changing a bit. Showtime did an animated Todd McFarlane's Spawn series which was ok. (I think Spawn is sort of a dumb superhero) and The Animatrix is better, overall, than the actual Matrix films.

This summer, Warner is releasing a DVD set which will give the Animatrix treatment to The Batman called Batman: Gotham Knights. Its a series of stories written and directed by some top comic book writers and Japanese animators. The stories are meant to take place in the Batman Begins continuity between the first film and the sequel that comes out this summer. It looks so sweet that I almost crapped my pants (not really. That was probably just something I ate, but still, it looks really cool.)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC