This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » Juno (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Juno
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My girlfriend was the most beautiful girl in the school.
What an asshole.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe so many of you did school work. Did you actually enjoy doing homework or something? I avoided it like the plague (hence my terrible GCSE results).

But then I didn't start actually enjoying academic work until the last month of my final year at university.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't believe so many of you did school work. Did you actually enjoy doing homework or something?
I did enjoy some classes--history, AP Art History, AP Psych--but mainly, I have a high level of guilt and I simply could not just not do homework or reading. Back when we were just friends, Mrs. Inca and I took a class together in college--an Italian film class in the Italian department, not the film one--general film classes at UCLA were a lot harder than people were expecting, but this one was really easy, and that's why we took it. I took it pass/no pass, and still did all of the reading, something that really disturbed her.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love you too, Inca.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Hey, if I was as lucky as you, I'd be saying it too. But you can expect the people that were losers like me to be congratulating you.
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had girlfriends, just not necessarily the ones I wanted.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reed, can you put some giant SPOILER ALERTS on your 19:24 post please?
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you not wallow in self-doubt, watch Monty Python, do speech & debate, pine for girls who don't notice you, do school work and smoke dope and go to parties?

Actually, I know you can; that's pretty much a description of my sixth form years. (It's the "speech and debate" I most regret; what a waste of time that was.)

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure our school even had a debate team.

At school the academic standards were high (at least in the advanced and "college prep" classes, which contained about 80% of the students) and there was an expectation that we'd all go to a four-year college and that many of us would go on to get PhDs and MDs and JDs from prestigious universities and achieve "great things."

However, unlike a lot of schools with a lot of resources and well-educated parents, there was almost no pressure on us to win contests and awards. It was all about preparing for college and real life beyond that.

For example, I was in the marching band. Unlike most high school marching bands, we didn't do band competitions and did not aspire to be invited to march in the Rose Bowl parade. Those bands do the same show all year and perfect it. We did a different show for every home football game. Our director preached the importance of being able to sight-read and learn something new every week because that's what professional musicians have to do, not to mention college university marching bands. So as a result, we never got any awards or got to march in a bowl parade, but lots of our alums marched for the Penn State Blue Band and reported that their high school preparation served them well, and a lot more kids from my school go on to be professional musicians than would normally be expected from a regular public school.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Wyatt said, at 10.42, all of it.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

quote:
I'm not sure our school even had a debate team.
I only did debate for one semester, but did speech for three years--even got a Letter in it.
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've given a lot of thought, too much, to my high school years. I'd do so many things differently. I'd listen to different music, adopt a different persona, chase different girls, pursue some different actitivies, speak truth to power. I'd find better outlets for my depression, anxiety, anger and frustration, instead of bottling it up and pretending to be happy.

In general, my problem was that I was too much of a nerd to be widely popular but not so clever that people admired me for my cleverness and I wasn't particularly good at any particular thing like sports or music or whatever, so I struggled to establish my "brand identity" so to speak.

Pot smoking was not very common in my school. At least, it was rarely talked about. Alcohol was much more easy to acquire. I didn't drink in high school or even in college until the end. Having grown up near a college campus, I perceived drinking as something stupid people did to make themselves stupider. There's some truth to that.

I took myself a bit too seriously in school.

But despite all of that, most of my best friends to this day are people I went to high school (and junior high, and grade school) with.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

I was in kind of a strange situation--I was in a magnet program of mostly white and Asian kids at an inner-city high school of mostly black and Latino kids. All of our classes were with other students in the program, so we were kind of a isolated group, so all of us knew each other, but within our group, there were still the usual cliques and different social status levels--so there were the "cool kids" of a group that was in the grand scheme of things, the nerds of the campus.

I could have smoked pot, but part of my sense of guilt is a big sense of paranoia, so I feared getting caught. The one time I have smoked pot, I was too paranoid at being found out--by who, I don't really know--that it wasn't enjoyable. Plus, later in college I was (sensibly, I think) afraid of getting caught--if you get cited for marijuana or any other drugs, you lose your federal student aid eligibility, and federal student loans were keeping me in school.

Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My high school buddies and I were top of the class, but we regularly cut entire days of class to go shoot pool. For this, one admirer referred to us as the school's "Mental Jocks".
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

That situation is unusual, but it's not really that unusual for each clique to have it's own internal structure totally seperate from anything on the outside.

In junior high there was a strict class system of popular and non-popular kids which seemed to encompass everyone - like you see in most hollywood portrayals of American schools. But that hierarchy was somehow silently overthrown in 9th grade and was replaced with a much more complex and fluid set of power structures.

I too was very "trouble" averse. I never skipped a class in high school. Also, we were not allowed to leave "campus" during lunch. Lots of kids did, but not me. I didn't think was worth the possible hassle of dealing with our security guard "Sgt. Farmer" (as he was known) just so I could go to McDonalds.

The upside was that my parents never hassled me about a curfew, which seemed to be a constant issue of contention in a lot of households. There only concerns were that I not be getting rides with unsafe drivers (a very valid concern), that I get to bed by around midnight on "school nights" and that they have a vague idea where I was. They also didn't like the idea of me just "hanging out" downtown. Not because they thought I'd get into difficulty, but because they thought it was bad parenting to let one's children simply "loiter." Otherwise, they didn't worry. Maybe it's because they're from a big city and therefore had a better perspective on what real "trouble" is but they didn't worry about me getting murdered in Centre County.

Maybe it's just the minority that write letters to the paper, but parents today in my town seem to be way too scared of everything. They don't let their kids wait for the school bus on their own. Some of them want to move the high school stadium from downtown to somewhere "safer" because they think that kids going to the games will wander off downtown and get into some kind of trouble. What, exactly, is unclear. The bars are extremely tight about IDs. In my day, a lot of kids would get their parents to drop them off at the game and then they'd skip down to the local arcade or the diner to smoke cigarettes, but that arcade isn't there anymore and in any event that's a minor offense and it's not like they were at risk of being raped or something. Sometimes kids, especially girls who enjoy being called jailbait, will weasel there way into a frat party but any kid that committed to getting liquored up is going to find a way to do it regardless of where the school plays its home football games.

Why am I going on about this?

[ 17.01.2008, 21:04: Message edited by: Reed ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC