This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » No Country for Old Men (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: No Country for Old Men
Nil a fhios agam
Member # 1386

- posted      Profile for Nil a fhios agam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Chigurh got the money too. The Mexicans were disturbed when killing Llewelyn. I assumed that he hid the money similar to when he hid it in the first motel. Chigurh went back to the scene of the crime and was there when Tommy Lee Jones went back to take a look.
Posts: 921 | From: Fair City | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*****************SPOILERS*********************

I don't think we are actually told where the money is. I don't think Llewellyn would have hidden it in the air vents, because he knew that Chigurh was on to that ruse. But I suppose Llewellyn would have been crafty in hiding the money, so it might have been recovered by nobody.

This thing is going to turn into the "What was in the suitcase" debate of the '00s, isn't it?

Incidentally, I'm a bit weary of everybody going on about Chigurh's haircut. The film is set in 1980; for its period, the hairdo is not outrageously bad. It certainly is lazy to describe it as "the worst haircut in movie history", as some hacks have, when Napoleon Dynamite alone trumps Chigurh's 'do at least four times over.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im popping along to the library today to find out where the money went.
Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently this has gotten the biggest post-Oscar box office boost in history, and it's the highest-ever grossing film for the Cohens Bros.

Nothing else to say other than I'm so happy for them. Great American Artists Who Deserveth Alleth Thateth Cometh Toeth Themeth.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I ever mention I went round the London Eye with the Coen Bro and his wife from Fargo?
Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a euphemism?
Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Incidentally, I'm a bit weary of everybody going on about Chigurh's haircut
He reminded me a few times of Guenther Netzer.

-

As for the film, very good, but I really need to see it at least one more time.

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

JP: eeerrhh see what you mean. Ill leave it as it is.
erwin
Member # 403

- posted      Profile for erwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this tonight. I thought the played-down deaths at the end were interesting, as was the coda of Tommy Lee and his Dad. But the film had built up such a head of steam as an out-and-out thriller that I was disappointed it didn't just hurtle through to a more linear conclusion.

Having said that, I'll be doing a lot more mulling than if it had just ended with an almighty shoot-out.

***** spoilers *****

The Mexicans found Llewelyn at the first motel ('Regal') through the duplicate tracking device. (Although you have to wonder why they didn't find the bag in the air vent if they had a tracking device ...)

They found him in the El Paso motel prior to the bloodbath in which he was killed because the mother-in-law spilled the beans when the Mexican hoodlum helped her with her bags outside the bus station.

I think Llewelyn's wife dies ... and the out-of-sightedness of it is very powerful ... a bit like Gwynneth Paltrow's past-perfect demise in se7en. A glowing presence removed in a very barbaric way.

Can anyone explain this: after the El Paso bloodbath, Tommy Lee goes back to the motel in the dead of night. He notices the keyhole has been shot out by the bolt gun. He draws his revolver. Cut to Chigurh lurking inside, gun at the ready. Tommy Lee goes in ... and there's no one there. (Tommy Lee talks at one point about Chigurh being a ghost - is this an instance of that?)

Does the accountant in the office get it, do we think?

Posts: 3378 | From: just this side of beyond all hope | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***** spoilers *****

It probably doesn't matter whether the accountant gets it. Chigurh's murders are mostly so banal (as per Hannah Arendt), they happen off-screen and are implied. One would presume that the accountant gets shot because he was a witness to the bossman's murder.

The scene with Jones going back to the El Paso hotel... I thought Chigurh was in the room, as we saw. Jones looks for him in a rather half-assed manner. Everything is set up for a big confrontation, but the jaded old cop is simply to inexperienced to pick it up (unlikely), too jaded to want to take on Chigurh (don't think so), or savvy enough that he might not survive that confrontation, decides it isn't worth it, and so walks away (my reading).

I don't think he meant Chigurh was a ghost in any supernatural way; more like ghosts are elusive, so was Chigurh.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erwin
Member # 403

- posted      Profile for erwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***** spoilers *****

Yes ... he appeared to be behind the door waiting, then TLJ comes in, has a half-assed look around and flops down on the bed. I don't think Chigurh would have had any compunction about wasting him - he'd already offed a cop early on - so if he was in the room (and not, for example, in TLJ's imagination as he gets ready to enter the room), then that little bit doesn't really strike true for me.

One thing that occurred to me ... the murders get increasingly less violent - at least more suggested - as the story progresses - a kind of anti-escalation. Perhaps a signal from the Coens' that this wasn't going to end in a free-for-all shoot-'em-up.

Posts: 3378 | From: just this side of beyond all hope | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

***** spoilers *****

But Chigurh didn't kill for the sake of it. There always was a point to his murders (even if it was as a game of chance; the arbitrariness with which he could take a life was a point in itself). Had TLJ spotted him, he'd have killed him. But TLJ didn't, or pretended that he didn't, so the killing machine didn't need to.

G-Man
Member # 104

In 18 words, the potted review in the Cape Times manages to decode everything we need to know about the film:

"Directors Ethan and Joel Coen excel with this effective suspense exercise, which pits the good against the bad."

Step Up 2: The Streets gets 36 words.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC