This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Film » The Wire (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The Wire
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I tried to avoid this because I knew I'd love it once I saw it, and that's what happened.

After Homicide: Life on the Street got kicked out into the street, many of the producers and writers did a 6-parter on HBO called "The Corner." It took the view of what goes on in terms of drug dealers and citizens on a street corner in Baltimore. This was so well-received that they got a regular series called "The Wire", which was about the narcotics side of the Baltimore Police, rather than Homicide.

Comparisons to the Sopranos are inevitable. It looks like a Showtime show (cheesy lighting, cheesy camera movements, etc,) and doesn't have the same camerawork that Tony's crew has. But The Wire covers a lot more characters than Los Sopranos:

In the first episode, a Dockworkers Union is caught up in a human smuggling ring as 14 Ukranian girls are found dead.

Uncle Freddy approved it, and is trying to live with the guilt.

His son is caught up stealing cars for a "Greek" guy along with his cousin. After their first succesful heist, the son is busy buying digital cameras and $2000 Italian leather. Not too smart. The cousin has a wife and kid, and agrees when the Greek asks to steal 6 tons of sulphuric acid, and other chemicals. Somehow I don't think the Greek speaks Greek.

There's 2 homicide detectives investigating the 14 murders. They are aided by a female plainclothes officer who investigates robberies on the docks. Since no one ever confesses, there is never a case. Their chief has informed them that they are the designated scapegoats if the investigation goes nowhere.

Also, there are characters who I suppose were put away in prison at the end of last season.

There is a drug overdose, which brings heat from the state.

There is the drug lord who makes a deal with his lawyer to lower his 7-year stint to a Probation hearing in a year if he rats out the corrections officer who is bringing drugs into the prison.

There is his former lackey, who now wants nothing to do with him. He has a girlfriend and baby. She was talking about how the gang is taking care of her outside, and they way it's a "family". Her man tells her not to listen, as it's all a "business."

There's the cop who was on the street last year, and is now the officer investigating the drug overdose case. His friend was killed by the drug gang that is put away. During the parole hearing, the leader explains that "We never want any cops killed. It brings heat on everyone." Hey, it's a business.

The other story line is Omar and the 2 crackheads.

Omar has a 2-foot shotty and robs drug dealers. He's a raging psycho.

He has a Ms. Melodie (KRS-One's ex-wife) girlfriend who gets close with crackheads, and finds out where the crack dealers live.

The cop investigating him looks has that annoying Benjamin Bratt vibe, but has nothing going for him. He must be a direct decendant of Beaumont (William Baldwin) from HOMICIDE:LOTS. His hope is catching two crackheads shoplifting, to find him. At the end of the episode, however, Omar catches up with them. He wants to know why they're looking for him.

There's also the Drug Gang angles. But they didn't concentrate on them this year.

Looks like I'll have to be getting some DVDs. I'm addicted.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Quiet Man
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for The Quiet Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great win against Widnes, too.
Posts: 6639 | From: The Chestnut Tree Café | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leningrad Cowboy
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Leningrad Cowboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Talking of Benjamin Bratt I've got a question for jv.

What happened to the original cast of Law & Order?

I remember watching the show in the mid 90's before it disappeared off British TV screens.

When it re-appeared (some years later) there was a whole new cast.

What happened were Michael Moriarty & Co abducted by aliens like in Dynasty or did they all flounce off David Caruso stylee in the hope of bigger & better things?

Posts: 1755 | From: Helsinki Odeon | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the exact opposite suprise of Law & Order. I started watching with the loudmouthed crusty sarcastic guy, and was flabbergasted to see earlier shows with a totally different cast.

That show must be a producer's dream: If any cast member gets out of line - get rid of them and get higher ratings. Over and over again.

I have an inside source (a girl who assistant directored my unfinished film worked on the show) that says the shooting days are brutal: constant 16-hour days. They shoot on the Hudson River at Chelsea Piers (a huge complex with basketball courts, indoor soccer, bars, and...a television studio,) and do most of their interior shots there. That's why many shows they return to the scene of a crime over and over, while the courtroom scenes and interrogation scenes are much easier.

To answer your question, sometimes the actors just burn out a la that lady who married Jason Seahorn of the NY Giants, or leave for smaller and worser things a la Caruso (who did land on his feet in CSI:Miami - the #1 rated drama.)

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<gazes out the window rapt in thought>mmmmmm Angie Harmon<snaps back to reality>
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

For the record, TQM's joke and Andy C's response are currently floating way over my head. I can't figure that one out.
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Wire is the nickname of Warrington rugby league club, jv.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

I've been sniffing too many bleach fumes. Angie Harmon. Talk about a couple flaming out. 2 years ago, she was a star on a major network show, he was busy doing acrobatic defensive plays for the Jints on their way to the Superbowl, and 24 months later she's out of work and he's off the Giants.

Beniffer better beware.

(Beniffer: Kevin Smith's name for Ben & J-Lope.)

jason voorhees
Member # 79

WHAT ?!!

A Rugby Lague mention and Leningrad Cowboy doesn't bite ? Maybe he's the one who got abducted by aliens Dynasty sty-lee.

Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Angie Harmon the actress playing the assistant DA which has been replaced by that younger, self-righteous model (Carmichael)?

Best legs I've seen on TV for a long time...

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked her out on Google. Way too 'handsome' for my liking. Big jaw, heavy eyebrows. Nah.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Checked her out too. It's not her, that't the new girl, she is indeed too "perfect teeth". T

he actress before her though, as I said already, cracking pair of legs...

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

Big Jaw, Heavy Eyebrows....and Barry White voice.
Leningrad Cowboy
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Leningrad Cowboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as the mere mention of Rugby sparks Blood v. Crips style turf wars jv I've been deliberately avoiding the subject.

At least until now that is.

Apparently the Australian Rugby Union have over 30,000 tickets for their version of the World Cup that they can't shift for love nor money.

Posts: 1755 | From: Helsinki Odeon | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC