This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » New Portishead single

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Portishead single
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's going to rock the coffee table.

I quite like it.

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i really like that.
love the drums.

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's different, it's edgy and it isn't very good.
Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tremendous.

Now that's one triumphant motherfuckin return.

Glad to have you back.

I remember reading the blog, where the one member was concerned that they be Portishead without sounding like a band imitating Portishead. They certainly took it to the next level with that shit.

NEXT LEVEL.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is quite interesting, because I reviewed the album via a download link provided by the record company. And this track definitely wasn't on it. Which is quite a cock up by the record company, really.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so, would the inclusion of this track in the dl have altered your opinion at all DD ?

I wonder if there has been a tracklisting change due to the positive reaction this track has had since the youtube clips were posted and advertised on P-fork.
then again, this is [P] and anything like that would take years to mull over, so the chances are pretty slim and its probably just a case of human error.

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so, would the inclusion of this track in the dl have altered your opinion at all DD ?
Yeah, a little.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Girl
Member # 1348

- posted      Profile for Disney Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Ermm..that is either going to be very addictive or bloody annoying very quickly. A bit Kraftwerk, a bit Joy Division and really dark mid-winter 1983 type music...

Certainly different and gets my vote just for that.

Posts: 423 | From: now until the shipping forecast at 00.15 hours here is 'sailing by'...... | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

Sorry.

Not so much 1983 as aiming straight for the 1980/81 vote.

However, quality control would have dictated that that wouldn't have even made it onto the 'Komakino' flexidisc (by Joy Division). It's plain that they've lunged for New Order / JD-ish percussion, but I'm afraid that became annoying way before half of the track had transpired. Beth Gibbons is doing her 'wailing woman' routine once more - something I thought she'd thankfully left behind with the 'vengefulness' of the previous album. Not so, I fear. Oh dear.

My other major worry is that where they've made a deliberate effort to avoid the sample-based nature of their previous work, the analogue 'hand-craftedness' of this new material might easily become instrument-snobbery and over-worthy beard-stroking about production methods. Well, speaking personally, the tune's the thing ...and this had none.

I won't be going out of my way to hear that again.

2/10

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2/10 is about right.
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty poor. evilC nails it for me too.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you removed the vocals from this, it could pass for a filler track on an early Godflesh EP. It's got a certain weird hypnotic quality but it's no great shakes at all.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC