This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » OTF Met Office - Brace yourselves... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: OTF Met Office - Brace yourselves...
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is dublin the only place in ireland or the UK where it's not snowing? it's just dark, rainy and miserable.

It snowed yesterday evening at around 7.30pm. I know this because I had to walk from Christ Church to Harcourt Street in a blizzard.

By the time I got off the Luas in Dundrum, it had stopped.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some weather here, wind blowing like made, a proper squall hit us, lighting, thunder, temperature dropped but not enough for slow, in Bury and Rochdale they are seeing it though. Dead calm for a bit and now the wind is picking up again.

-

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reports from all over the place about the drops in temperatures, places like Appleby and Nottingham have seen drops of 7c in less than an hour, proper silly weather tonight that caught the meteo nerds by surprise.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Out in Newfoundland, when they get hit hard, it's frequently so deep that people literally tunnel out with their snowthrower
What the hell's a snowthrower?
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

Taken today at the ski tow of the Lake District Ski Club

-

Member # 19

Just check those wind speed in the Highlands, that's a proper blizzard...

Blowing in the wind

quote:
However the wind swung round to the West during the early hours and was a sustained Force 12 at the top of the Gorm all morning. The wind has been gusting to 120mph at the top of the Goose Chair at Nevis, however the 'Gorm can better that with a 140mph at the tunnel mouth of the Funicular!

[ 09.01.2008, 16:12: Message edited by: Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat ]

Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're enjoying this aren't you, you fucking freak.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, yeah, er..hi, I'm Yuri and I like..weather.
Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul S
Member # 75

- posted      Profile for Paul S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this snow continues. I've got a winter hillwalking holiday booked for the end of February up in the Fort William area. The more snow the better I say!
Posts: 2400 | From: Plastered over the Maplin Sands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A snowthrower is like a big-ass lawnmower...but it chucks the snow off your driveway...onto your lawn.

Here's snow in Saint John's, NFLD.

-

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul S
Member # 75

- posted      Profile for Paul S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone's interested in skiing in England, there is a very good website dedicated to the few ski-tows that exist in the north of England:

Ski-tows in England

Posts: 2400 | From: Plastered over the Maplin Sands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, and the prices are fantastic. Even the annual fees.
Rope tows though...fuck, you'll be exhausted by noon.

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

I feel the need to try one of those "resorts" Paul, as you can imagine it is rather exotic to me...

My mild OCDness does not help when I end up in a that kind of place like that meteo-geek forum, it makes for compulsive reading at times.

Member # 19

Well, after my morning trawl, here are my observations:

- If you live in Scotland or near enough and you are a skier, head for the pistes on saturday, it's going to be a dream of a day with good weather and huge amounts of snow, all 5 resorts will open. If I had my skis here, I would drive up there meself.

- The Jet Stream is tracking further south than last year at the same period which results in the same kind of mild weather for central and southern part of the UK whilst the northern parts are colder. I was surprised how chilly the SW breeze was yesterday during a fag break. So far no signs of it tracking further north, in fact there are tentative signs it might track further south thus spreading colder conditions in the whole of the country.

- Reading some of the senior forecasters and ignoring the chart freaks, there is a "feeling" that something is bubbling away quietly in a corner of the weather systems and might pop out at shortish notice, the december freeze was a complete surprise for exemple and a repeat of that is not excluded although it might come in the shape of a northerly storm rather than high-pressure from the East. January has potential for an interesting event but the current pattern needs to be broken, somehow.

- Impressive amounts of ice in the Arctic at the moment, at least a bit of good news in this era of GW.

Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yuri, you might know the answer to this.

Why do GMTV keep giving me the weather for an hour ago? Every day at seven, they tell me what it was like at six. I couldn't give a fuck. I was asleep.

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC